I'm taking over the lane.

The other day I went out and practiced on the streets with my yet-unconverted Electra chopper pedal bike. I ventured out into the actual middle of the street (in Los Angeles) and was terrified. The sense of exposure is nearly enough to scare you half to death unless you keep in perspective.

I had no mirrors, no lights, nothing, just the bare bike. I instantly realized how harrowing changing lanes is and how easily you can get boxed in if you pace or travel with a car to it's right side blind spot (or left if you're in the UK or Oz, etc...).

I see the importance of taking the whole lane up (when called for) all for yourself even if it seems wrong. Often that is the only way to be properly seen. One must have "no fear" yet be very aware constantly of danger. A bike cannot compete with a car or truck. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong if you're the one going down.

Thankfully LA has lots of bike paths, some closed off along side the Orange Line bus lane/path. And the bus system has bike racks on the fronts of the buses. I may figure out that system and use it to my advantage. The bike path along the Orange Line is toatally closed off to traffic and spans for about 20 miles across the valley.

Riding a bike does give one a totally different perspective on where one lives and on life in general. It's much nicer to do if one is willing to figure it out.

If I am on a two lane (per direction) road, I do not even remotely feel bad taking over a whole lane-- I'm going 25 mph on the flat, generally on roads where the speed LIMIT is 30-35. If they think I'm not going fast enough, they have a whole lane to pass me.

Now, if I have to go up a pretty steep hill which will slow me way down, I move over. Luckily the way I go to work, the steep hills have what equates to a dedicated bike lane (I think it's a bike/bus lane)

If I am on a two lane (per direction) road, I do not even remotely feel bad taking over a whole lane-- I'm going 25 mph on the flat, generally on roads where the speed LIMIT is 30-35. If they think I'm not going fast enough, they have a whole lane to pass me.

Now, if I have to go up a pretty steep hill which will slow me way down, I move over. Luckily the way I go to work, the steep hills have what equates to a dedicated bike lane (I think it's a bike/bus lane)

That makes sense totally, yes. I've typically only ever ridden BMX or on sidewalks, going out into the street is new to me. I'll have to adapt to it. The conditions are more serious out on a street.

I moved into town, so the commute to work is only 3 miles now. Speed limit is mainly 25-30mph, unlike those crazy 40mph sprints from my old place.

I still claim the lane and keep up with traffic.. There are four and eight-lane boulevards. There's lots of room for impatient drivers to pass me, going 10mph over the speed limit.

me too

I as well take the whole road now if they slow down enough for me I might scoot over a little and let them pass. I am an aggressive rider w/out the motor but a very cautious rider w/a motor I have had sum close calls since I finally got my bike upto parr. TAKE THE ROAD BACK but be curtious because they are alot bigger .

I run 35-40 mph on the flats in a 35 mph zone. I STILL get passed by drivers going 45 mph.:sick:

Of course I still claim the lane. There is now way I'm hugging the curb at that speed.:whistle:

Back