Introduction

havealoha

Local time
12:05 PM
Yeah, I skipped the rules of introduction. Just so excited to get started.

Im in Hawaii. My name is Eric. Gas here is 4.20 LOL. (http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/ use the dropdown"Select A Market" to find other regions gas prices)

I have taken some welding classes but dont own any equipment. I can get things machined and welded somehow.

There are always plenty of junk bicycles and weed wackers around to get parts from. Problem is, here in Hawaii thy are always in such rusted condition and non operational.

A great idea came to me. Go to WalMart, get a cruiser bicycle ($100) and a chainsaw ($150). Make a prototype, refine it and repeat the process. Get everyone riding one.

Im starting with my bicycle and chainsaw to see how much work it will be.

Looks like I'll need plenty of sprockets, chains, hubs, tubing and a welder.

Ive seen a trailer pusher and a direct drive around. Built of scraps. Ive only seen either once. Must have broken.

The law here:
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol05_Ch0261-0319/HRS0286/HRS_0286-0002.htm
"Moped" means a device upon which a person may ride which has two or three wheels in contact with the ground, a motor having a maximum power output capability measured at the motor output shaft, in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers standards, of two horsepower (one thousand four hundred ninety-two watts) or less and, if it is a combustion engine, a maximum piston or rotor displacement of 3.05 cubic inches (fifty cubic centimeters) and which will propel the moped, unassisted, on a level surface at a maximum speed no greater than thirty miles per hour; and a direct or automatic power drive system which requires no clutch or gear shift operation by the moped driver after the drive system is engaged with the power unit.

"Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excludes a farm tractor and a moped.

"Motor scooter" means every motorcycle with a motor which produces not more than five horsepower, but excludes a moped.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol05_Ch0261-0319/HRS0291C/HRS_0291C-0202.htm

Moped equipment requirements and inspection. (a) Every moped offered for sale for use upon, sold for use upon, or used upon the roadways and highways shall be equipped with:

(1) A motor having a maximum power output capability, measured at the motor output shaft, in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers standards, of two horsepower (one thousand four hundred ninety-two watts) or less and, if it is a combustion engine, a maximum piston or rotor displacement of 3.05 cubic inches (fifty cubic centimeters) and which will propel the moped, unassisted, on a level surface at a maximum speed no greater than thirty miles per hour; provided that those mopeds, including those modified pursuant to section 291C-206, registered prior to April 23, 1998 shall continue to be subject to the prior thirty-five miles per hour maximum speed limitation; and

(2) A direct or automatic power drive system which requires no clutch or gear shift operation by the moped driver after the drive system is engaged with the power unit.

(b) The director of transportation by rules and regulations, pursuant to chapter 91, shall establish criteria which shall comply with approved federal regulations for the following moped equipment: brake system; fuel system components; exhaust system components; steering system; handlebars; wheel rims; fenders; a guard or protective covering for drive belts, chains and rotating components; seat or saddle; lamps and reflectors; equipment controls; speedometer; retracting stand; horn; and identification markings.

(c) The director of transportation by rules and regulations, pursuant to chapter 91, shall establish criteria and procedures for the annual safety inspection of every moped. Safety inspection criteria shall include the criteria established by the director of transportation under subsection (b). [L 1978, c 175, pt of Sec.15; am L 1979, c 107, Sec.2; am L 1998, c 25, Sec.1]

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything can be bought at a garage sale or a pawn shop. For even less.
Welcome to MBc from the Giant Side of Texas!

Back