Just bought my first kit. What do I need.

yeah, where the bolt/spokes go isnt terribly important. concentricity IS! do up the bolts TIGHT!

wheel bearings are pesky things at the best of times!

if you plan on doing more of them, you need to get a CONE spanner. theyre very thin, for holding the bearing cones still while you tighten the locknut.

i actually cheat here. by leaving one locknut fingertight, and when installing the wheel, tighten the axle nut on the OTHER end. then adjust bearing til right (right, not tight!), then tighten the other axle nut. which side the loose cone/locknut is on is important...left hand side, so it tends to clamp up against the frame, which will leave some play in the bearings. the other way, theyll tighten up against the bearings, which can break em or lock the wheel, and the axle nut will loosen off...

works 99% of the time when done properly... :)

crucial tools?

lol @ hammer, a definite!

flat head screwdriver. two sizes. get a whole set, with phillips.

allen/hex keys, metric.

10,12,13,14,15,17mm spanners. and theres the odd 8 and 9mm to mess you up...

pliers and sidecutters. also needle nose pliers.

an old speaker magnet! you throw your screws at it, they stick, they dont run away and hide then!

a bench, somewhere fairly neat n tidy...

patience :)

that will cover 99% of repairs and maintenance until you get into crank removals etc...

youre only mechanically useless cus you tell yourself you are....look, someone once designed it. they were a person too, with their own hangups! so anything is possible, cus someones already done it! all you gotta do is copy! or experiment a lil! :)

Last edited:
Back