Lawnboy project

T

trackfodder

I am getting back to work mounting a 4 hp. Lawnboy in a Huffy Cranbrook frame. I have a 7 X 8" rectangle of 1/8" steel with a hole for the crank in the middle and mounting holes for the engine case and exhaust outlet. Each corner is rounded and a 3/8" hole each for mounting. 6" sched 80 1/4" pipe nipples are bent 90 degrees, one end chopped to be 2-1/2" from center of the opposite end. They are drilled and tapped to receive 3/8" mounting bolts. This centers the engine in the frame. Tonight I trial-fitted the plate in the frame and found they all are ample to be sawn for welding to frame with good engine position. A hole in the plate matches the exhaust port and will have the pipe attaching ell stack welded to it. I am dreading the job of cobbling an ell that is close to the plate for upward exit. Still considering using my Comet VST drive. I lucked into an offroad Mongoose MGX for $5,00 that furnished a telescopic front fork. Also got some nice wheels with 12 ga. spokes and nice tires for $20 with a coaster brake. The gooseneck has a 4 bolt clamp for the bars, so may use a bar with a crossbar just for the hallibut.

Laying in bed, I decided since I had already welded a short stack on the plate for a pipe, I have decided to cut crescents out of it vertically and weld a piece of trampoline support frame to it with the inner fitting tube. The outer fitting tube has a 90 degree bend to take the flow rearward. It will only be necessary to cap the bottom of the vertical port tube and remove the metal inside the port with a milling cutter to open the outlet into the round vertical tube.

Back