Break In Leak

Brian Brower

Local time
9:31 PM
Ok people I'm building bike number 2. First bike I built on a Genesis GS29 with the 66/cc two stroke China girl with no problems. I just finished my second bike. I bought a 29 inch Schwinn Midway brand new at Wal-Mart for $35. Put the same engine on it and it started right up. But I noticed a leak coming from the bottom of the engine. Haven't pin pointed it yet but I wonder what it could be. It smokes a lot so I think the mixture is way rich. Or is it the other way around. Anyone have any ideas as why this is happening and what I can do about this. Could it be the rings?

I'd first guess fuel leaking from carb or tank and dripping down. It could also be from the muffler if too rich.

in that case, you'd need to check the crank seals on both sides and check that the case bolts are all tight

I'd also clean it very well and try to spot the VERY FIRST place it shows up

one usually needs a HAND impact driver to tighten them well - also note that there are three case bolts under the clutch

look really close at gasket all the way around - it should be visible without breaks in the seam

But why would there be fluid in the bottom of the engine in the first place
All that fuel/air fog being pumped through the cold engine, I'm not at all surprised that there's some fluid in the bottom of the case.

Just to be absolutely clear: it's the exhaust gasses that is smoky, not the crankcase leak?

It sucks that you have a leak in the most awkward gasket before you even got to ride the bike.
If you have the option to return it, I definitely would. What a pain in the arse.

If tightening the case bolts doesn't stop the leak then you'll be disassembling the entire engine. :(

Back