Gas tank doesn't fit

Well ya learn somethin' everyday if you pay attention. I guess we are to assume these tanks really are made of somekind of stainless. At least we have the hope of them not rusting.
They absolutely are not stainless. At least, the one I have isn't. My tank is pure chinesium grade mild steel. The fuel cap is the only thing "stainless" on the whole thing as far as I can tell, and it's a 400 grade from what I can tell because it still has magnetism, just not quite as strong as the tank.

Well ya learn somethin' everyday if you pay attention. I guess we are to assume these tanks really are made of somekind of stainless. At least we have the hope of them not rusting.
I've had a couple so rusted from the boat ride over here, they needed a lot of love to be usable.

Impulse, what is the deal with anaerobic corrosion of stainless steel? I'm asking because you seem to have a handle on this.

I know on boats that spend all their time in the water, the SS prop shafts will get crevice corrosion in stagnate areas like inside the stuffing box or prop strut bushings if sitting idle for too long. Just wondering how that works? Thanks.

Back