Gas tank doesn't fit

BananaPie

Local time
12:34 AM
Is there an adapter I could buy to mount the gas tank? The little things that come for it doesn't fit. Im using a 29" Genesis something.

Attachments

• 17075323442483925211488384840762.jpg
    17075323442483925211488384840762.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 42
If the studs clear you should be able to get the brackets to work. Sometimes you have to reshape them a bit.

Alternative option, if you want a proper fuel tank with real range, pick up a 4L tank like this.

I prefer that tank for the capacity, but also because it doesn't have studs on the tank, but clamps together with tabs on each end. The studs are a well known failure point on the smaller tanks.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
If the studs clear you should be able to get the brackets to work. Sometimes you have to reshape them a bit.

Alternative option, if you want a proper fuel tank with real range, pick up a 4L tank like this.

I prefer that tank for the capacity, but also because it doesn't have studs on the tank, but clamps together with tabs on each end. The studs are a well known failure point on the smaller tanks.
IR, is that tank really SS? That would be good for anti-rust properties.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You can also thread nuts on the studs and use plumbers strapping ( All-Round trade name, the stuff with the holes ) to strap over the frame next to the tank. Make another two straps to go around the frame, set the first nuts and their straps so when you screw down the second set they tighten against the first set.

This way won't put much tension on the stud to tank welds vs just cranking down on the nuts themselves which pulls on the tank stud welds. This will result in a solid tank mounting that won't fail.
Also there should be enough room between the tank and the frame to run the throttle cable and maybe a brake cable.

IR, is that tank really SS? That would be good for anti-rust properties.
I highly doubt it. If you read the description it has been painted for rustproofing reasons. The fuel cap may be stainless, which gives them the right to say "stainless steel" even though the tank itself isn't. Typical Amazon listing by a chinese company.

The 4L tank I purchased on Amazon a couple of months ago is not S.S. Magnets do not stick to stainless. I would suspect that there is only one manufacturer for all these tanks sold by many vendors. Why wouldn't all sellers offer both if they were available? I never expect too much from these Chinese products because of the sketchy advertising.

The 4L tank I purchased on Amazon a couple of months ago is not S.S. Magnets do not stick to stainless. I would suspect that there is only one manufacturer for all these tanks sold by many vendors. Why wouldn't all sellers offer both if they were available? I never expect too much from these Chinese products because of the sketchy advertising.
Magnets stick to some stainless steel. Like silverware

Magnets stick to some stainless steel. Like silverware
Correct! These are both known as either Ferritic and Martensitic stainless steels, and they contain a high enough level of ferrite in the alloy to maintain magnetism. Pretty much all types of 400 grade stainless steel are magnetic.

The most prevalent type that most people think of as being non-magnetic is Austenitic stainless steels, which includes pretty much all of the 300 grade stuff. Even some of these still have some weak magnetism to them, such as 304, while others such as 321 have so little that magnets will not stick to them. They still do throw off a very very VERY weak magnetic field, but nothing anywhere near strong enough to really detect by normal means.

Then we have the duplex stainless steels, most common among which is 2205. These are called duplex because they contain both Martenistic and Austenitic crystal formations, giving them a sort of middle ground. Still can be magnetic, but again the specific type plays a role.

The myth of stainless not being magnetic stems from the fact that the average person mainly comes in contact with Austenitic type stainless steel the most in their day to day life. Martenistic and Duplex are far more common in settings such as automotive and industrial machines where a small level of corrosion can be accepted without causing issues, which helps keep costs lower. Automotive exhausts are a great example of this, and why most modern car exhaust systems don't rot out as easily as they once did.

Well ya learn somethin' everyday if you pay attention. I guess we are to assume these tanks really are made of somekind of stainless. At least we have the hope of them not rusting.

Back