LED's

when I bought the bicycle lights I have, it was before I had even heard of motorizing bicycles. I have yet to even try them in the dark, and I'd really rather not have to. Since sunset is getting so early now, and my MB is going to be my primary vehicle for awhile still, I'll probably go with a 12v "system" for now because it can be done for so much less than a dyno system, but the dyno system is a really great idea. Maybe with my tax return next year...

A 12 volt automotive system would be cheaper. Just make sure you can mount the headlight low enough and aim it so it does not blind other traffic.
Having lights to see the road so you are safe is very important. I was on my way home from work one evening more then 20 years ago and I ran into a pile of tree branches and did a face plant. It was the designated city cleanup week that allowed people to get rid of all kinds of junk. I had lights that allowed the cars to see me but they were not good enough for me to see the road properly. I was working a good job so I ordered a 20watt halogen battery set. This solved the problem until the battery died about 18 months later.

Haven't tried LED's but have looked. I started with a 20w MR16 spot and found it unacceptable for safety reasons at 30 MPH and over. I'm now running a 55w halogen and find it works very well indeed, sucks power but I can see. When I see a 9w LED that is advertised as equivalent to a 50w halogen but with a 410 lumen rating compared to 1550 lumen for the halogen, this whole issue of equivalence gets fuzzy. By my math, I would need something like 30-35w of LED to get the same job done as my 55w halogen.

Anybody knowledgeable about this, feel free to educate me!

This also looks interesting... 12V 10W 750 Lumen LED... $31.40 (w free shipping.)

Attachments

• sku_44176_1.jpg
    sku_44176_1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 215
I just finished reading one of Richard Ballantine's bicycling books where he states that humans are 4X more likely to notice a moving or flashing light than a steady light. Also, that the most effective bike reflectors are ones mounted low on the bike frame. Lights should be mounted fairly high to be better seen. For those interested in building lighting systems using Lithium-polymer batteries, www.hobbycity.com is an excellent source for 1st quality fresh LiPo's and chargers at reasonable cost.

Back