Lower jug gasket

Regalgse00

Local time
2:36 AM
So I’m trying to find a good gasket for the lower part of the cylinder or a good way to seal it better. I have a 49mm iron jug and I have the green lower gasket in lower but doesn’t seem to last long. Not sure if it’s cause head studs vibrate loose over time and then from going over it to make sure there the bolts are tight in between rides. I was wondering if I could use a gasket maker with the gasket or what. This is a case reed engine so I’m not sure.

While gasket maker isn't compatible with gas and shouldn't be used for a head gasket.
Lightly coating the cyl base gasket of a 2 stroke with it should be OK.
I suggest Permatex High temp Gasket Maker.

I have a 138cc 4 stroke and I always coat my cyl base gasket with Permatex.
I lay the gasket on a piece of glass and use a toothbrush to lightly coat both sides of the gasket.
Then assemble right away before it dries. Future disassembly is easy because of the gasket.

While gasket maker isn't compatible with gas and shouldn't be used for a head gasket.
Wouldn't that apply also to the base gasket as well since on a 2 stroker, the gas and oil mixture permeates all the parts within ???...Just wondering...DAMIEN

Wouldn't that apply also to the base gasket as well since on a 2 stroker, the gas and oil mixture permeates all the parts within ???...Just wondering...DAMIEN

Yea, I would think so, but I have read on this forum guys have luck using gasket maker on the cyl base gasket.
There is more flat area of a cyl base gasket and it's not under compression and high heat from combustion.

I could be wrong in suggesting this Hopefully someone who has tried it on a 2 stroke will chime in shortly

Yea, I would think so, but I have read on this forum guys have luck using gasket maker on the cyl base gasket.
There is more flat area of a cyl base gasket and it's not under compression and high heat from combustion
Time would certainly tell the tale then...DAMIEN

Wouldn't better cylinder studs and nuts be a more direct solution? If they didn't keep working loose or stretching, the gasket(s) wouldn't fail as quickly? One thing I've noticed is that the stock fasteners are not the greatest.

I guess @Regalgse00 will be the test dummy on this one LOL "jkn"
Ha. Yea. I’d rather not be a test dummy. Since everyone on here is so damn smart. All I was asking for a suggestion since everyone on here has had all the same issues. I was just thinking of a suggestions. And yea I thought maybe a thin layer of sealer on the bottom gasket would help. Or loctite the head bolts and studs if that would be better.

Ha. Yea. I’d rather not be a test dummy. Since everyone on here is so damn smart. All I was asking for a suggestion since everyone on here has had all the same issues. I was just thinking of a suggestions. And yea I thought maybe a thin layer of sealer on the bottom gasket would help. Or loctite the head studs if that would be better.
Loctite is the best solution. Just the bottom, where they go into the case. Use regular nuts on the top with spring washers, bin the acorns that come on most cylinders.

Back