Pedal chain to jack shaft

BruceBanner1983

Local time
7:18 AM
So I’m running a 212, using the drive and driven pulleys from a 30 series torque converter with a backing plate and jack shaft from a 79cc transmission. I decided I want to run moped wheels, and the wheels I bought turned out to be for a moped that doesn’t use a separate chain for the pedals, and I’m wondering if there is a relatively simple way to attach the pedal chain to the jack shaft so I can still have operable pedals.

You can get a front freewheel, but I don't think the bicycle components would withold the torque of a 212 predator
Yeah and I just realized the engine blower fan cover is in the way anyway. My state allows for a certain displacement of engine to be run without pedals and classified as a motor driven cycle and it only requires a class c license and yearly inspection. My title already says motor driven cycle and the only obvious visual difference between a moped and a motor driven cycle is that a moped must have operable pedals. My title only says MODC. So it turns out I am now building a motor driven cycle.

You can get a front freewheel, but I don't think the bicycle components would withold the torque of a 212 predator
I actually just realized there may be a way to make this work. My crankset is conical. I already have a pedal freewheel, and if I can flip my crankset to where the chain ring is on the same side as my transmission, if I can find the correct size freewheel adapter, I can connect my pedal chain to my transmission.

I actually just realized there may be a way to make this work. My crankset is conical. I already have a pedal freewheel, and if I can flip my crankset to where the chain ring is on the same side as my transmission, if I can find the correct size freewheel adapter, I can connect my pedal chain to my transmission.
You don't even need a freewheel if you are building it without pedals

You don't even need a freewheel if you are building it without pedals
I need a freewheel if I want operable pedals. If I have the clearance and can find parts, the setup will be pedal chain ring connected to freewheel on jack shaft which will also be connected to rear wheel. In this setup the pedal chainring is on the left side of the bike

This essentially will be the setup you should go for:

20231027_182132.jpg

You'll need to get a Freewheel crank.

This essentially will be the setup you should go for:

View attachment 201944

You'll need to get a Freewheel crank.
If I flip my crankset so the chainring is on the same side as the transmission, and I have a freewheel adapter on my jack shaft, why would I need a freewheeling crank? I’m not sure I have the clearance between the bottom bracket and the transmission. If I don’t, I’m going to run without pedals.

If I flip my crankset so the chainring is on the same side as the transmission, and I have a freewheel adapter on my jack shaft, why would I need a freewheeling crank? I’m not sure I have the clearance between the bottom bracket and the transmission. If I don’t, I’m going to run without pedals.
Would you really want 3 chains on the left side? On top of that the 20" tires are going to out the pedals really close to the ground in the 6:00 o'clock position. You'd have to use some really short crank arms.

Would you really want 3 chains on the left side? On top of that the 20" tires are going to out the pedals really close to the ground in the 6:00 o'clock position. You'd have to use some really short crank arms.
Where you getting 3 chains from? The cvt is belt driven. The only other chain is from the jack shaft to the rear wheel.

Back