212cc top speed?

The highest I had my stage 1 wond to without a governor was 4500 with no load. Not exactly a great Idea
Well, looking on a kart forum where people use the 212 a lot and know it, I read two things. First is I need to remove the governor, not bypass, if I want more than 3800. Second is with the stock springs, the valves will float at around 5200. And the flywheel will not explode at 5k. I will have a tach on it, so as long as I don’t rev over 5k I should be fine.

Well, looking on a kart forum where people use the 212 a lot and know it, I read two things. First is I need to remove the governor, not bypass, if I want more than 3800. Second is with the stock springs, the valves will float at around 5200. And the flywheel will not explode at 5k. I will have a tach on it, so as long as I don’t rev over 5k I should be fine.
Reving at 4500 for a long period of time it will blow up just the same. This all comes back to the discussions about safety. Is 150 bucks worth it, or would you risk a flywheel blowing apart next to your leg?

Reving at 4500 for a long period of time it will blow up just the same. This all comes back to the discussions about safety. Is 150 bucks worth it, or would you risk a flywheel blowing apart next to your leg?
I’m doing research and opinions are divided, but none of the people who claim it will explode seem to have any proof. And even if the flywheel did explode, what proof do we have that it happened under 5k and what other modifications or conditions of the engine could have contributed? One person had a 79cc that the magnet broke loose and tore the magneto off the block, but it wasn’t under load as they picked the rear wheel of their mini bike off the ground and redlined it. And the governor was intact. Flywheel didn’t even explode, just tore the magneto off the block. Another person said three flywheels broke under 5k on a dyno, but again, not under load and what actual proof do we have that it was under 5k, other than they said so. If I find definitive proof that there’s a high chance this thing will explode at under 5k, I’ll spend the money. So far I’m not finding that, and I’m not by far the only person on that side of the issue. But I’m not seeing anyone saying a stock flywheel exloded at 5k or less on a stock engine that was under load, so thinking logically and not emotionally, the statistical probability seems extremely low to me.

Ok I’m not sure what the size is on mine. It’s an asymmetrical torque converter from gopowersports. It’s def not 7” though. But if you’re getting 40 with that setup, I’d say 50 would not be out of the question in my bike. Speed limits where I’ll be riding go up to 45. I can’t find the diameter of the driver on mine though but I can measure it tonight.
I say easy 50, my cart with me in it hits 500lbs.

Most TAVs are 6" driven for the asymmetrical belt. The Max-Torque is a symmetrical belt.

I say easy 50, my cart with me in it hits 500lbs.

Most TAVs are 6" driven for the asymmetrical belt. The Max-Torque is a symmetrical belt.
Yeah I was thinking based on what you said about your cart hitting 40 easy, I’m probably looking at 50-55 easy. 50 would be plenty though. Highest speed limit where I’ll be riding is 45 and I like to try to go 5 over. Especially on a bike where people aren’t paying attention to me.

Yeah I was thinking based on what you said about your cart hitting 40 easy, I’m probably looking at 50-55 easy. 50 would be plenty though. Highest speed limit where I’ll be riding is 45 and I like to try to go 5 over. Especially on a bike where people aren’t paying attention to me.
If you do manage to get your engine to hit 5000 rpm. Then on 26" wheels with a 6\1 reduction it'd give you a speed close to 65 mph.

Built in rev limiter. The cam is the limiting factor. Stock cam is 4800-5200.

I

I know the Sportsman Flyers 212cc are advertised as being able to do 45 mph. Do you see a 212cc being able to much beyond that?
Depends on what they do with the gov, I think a stock engine with the gov can do 45.196/212cc type engines have lots of torque, so geared right they could kill a person.

Depends on what they do with the gov, I think a stock engine with the gov can do 45.196/212cc type engines have lots of torque, so geared right they could kill a person.
BB wants to run a CVT and use a 10/48. That puts the reduction range 14.4\1 to 4.8\1. From all that I've read the 212cc produces around 7-8 hp. Even if the engine can turn 5000 rpm using 26" wheels means the bike would be doing 80 mph. I know the CVT will be a big contributor for acceleration. Safety factors aside, I just don't think 7-8 hp can push an adult on 2 wheels to 80 mph on level ground.

Back