Mods for reliability

I use the blue or low strenth loctight only. I have not qhad any issues whatso ever with left side tension. right side does not come off as long as I keep the 11 tooth sprocket true to the freewheel. I use a laser to line it up. But the tension is hard to keep perfect. I do not want to be too tight.

Thanks guys. :)
It would be cool to make a diagram of a basic single speed and a shift kit build showing exactly which bolts/connections need which Loctite.. though I don't think I would be able to do it on "Paint" cuz that's a bit basic and hard to draw stuff with but I might have a go when I'm bored. :)

#1 thing to loctight is the set screws in the jackshaft 21T and 9-11T gears! the rest has held up well without it. the treadlocker blue works fine. I bought the delux hd so I took the set screws out of the extra gear and doubled up on the set screws to lock them in exept for the key slot set screws. I bought an extra set of set screws and they were longer. I used those there with lots of loc tight.

#1 thing to loctight is the set screws in the jackshaft 21T and 9-11T gears!

I agree. and have always used Loctite 243 for the grub screws in the left hand side and right hand side jackshaft sprockets. That said, if you prepare the surfaces to perfection, you will need to apply heat to remove the grub screws, and a gear puller to make your life easier when removing the left hand side sprocket.

I have never had a problem with using just one set of grub screws per sprocket. Once Loctite 243 has set in place (on an immaculately clean surface) it will never back out, unless heat is applied and a tool is used to loosen the screws.

I also use Loctite 243 on the screws holding the SickBikeParts adapter plate to the front engine mount, and also on the long bolts that hold the shift kit to the rear engine mount, because i have had these items back out without using thread locker.

Back