MOPED Question in nj PLEASE HELP

SamTheConfusedMan

Local time
7:12 AM
I want to buy my 15 year old son a moped and so many different people and websites are telling me different rules. My main questions are what is the max moped CC, does the moped need to have pedals and do you need to take a road and written test in NJ?

Thanks for the help,
Sam

I want to buy my 15 year old son a moped and so many different people and websites are telling me different rules. My main questions are what is the max moped CC, does the moped need to have pedals and do you need to take a road and written test in NJ?

Thanks for the help,
Sam
What do you mean by a moped? A motorized bicycle?

Sam, I searched Google for "moped laws new jersey" and got the answers from NJ websites.

Why pay attention to people? Read what NJ says about it.

I don't have any kids but if I did I wouldn't let my 15 year old ride an underpowered, 25 mph moped.

Do you have a large life insurance policy on your kid that you are planning on collecting off?

I got my motorcycle license and started riding at 16, I think my parents were trying to get rid of me.

If you insist on letting your 15 year old ride pay for the motorcycle safety course for him to give him a
chance of living to a ripe old age......

Your answers are here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mop...2.69i57j0l5.8640j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Born and raised in the armpit of the good ol USofA myself. I'm thankful everyday that i no longer live in that state. But to the point....I do belive a written test must be passed. not to sure about a riding test though. It would make sence that one comes with the other...but thats jersey for ya. hopefully the other fella that commented and found your laws for you will help.
However keep in mind,.... im 41 yrs old and moved out of that state afew years ago... well before i moved i was a VERY avid bicycle rider...talking about 12 miles everyday, and that includes snow. IMO you'd be better off purchasing a somewhat highend bike for him. There have been COUNTLESS times where i needed to make a split second move to make sure that i didnt become jersey's new tax right off pothole filler. My last bike cost me $1600. and change.... now im not saying you go this far in price. That's pretty damn steep for a 15 yr old. However....a moped WILL NOT have that ability to do what a bike can. Besides....i have been able to reach a top speed of 43mph on flat ground.....and im a smoker!

Back