Motored Bike Specific Tire Coming.

Motored Bike Tire

• Should there be a motored bike specific tire?

Votes: 52 96.3%
  • Shouldn't be a motored bike specific tire.

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
I 've seen talk here about a tubless tires. On a pedalbike this would lead to a lot of changes down the road. ...
Tubeless tires can be used on many regular rims, but it is still a considerable cost (for the tire) to avoid trouble that MB'ers usually don't have (frequent punctures). MTB websites have info on how you do this (you cut up a regular inner tube to use as a sealing strip on the regular rim, for example).

Tubeless tires were originally for MTB bikes that rode in desert areas, who picked up cactus thorn punctures pretty much every day they rode. For those guys, a tubeless tire with inside-sealant (like Slime) is the best way to go.

MB'ers don't like flats, but most of us don't have it that bad. I'd much prefer not needing to rely only on Slime for puncture sealing because it works great when it works, but can be a HUGE mess when it doesn't.
~

Every tire ever thought of is already out there why are you wasting precious time on this? Plus they're cheap.

Even though I like the thought of a specialized tire for MBers, I'll probably just get a spare-tire mount on my bike for long-distance trips.

I would like to see the tire and wheel people get together, and establish some safety
standards. A ' Motorbike rated ' wheel would be a good start. Wheels with good quality hub sprockets, tough rims, thick spokes. Tubeless Tire / Alloy wheels would be super cool . Tires would be sized to fit wheels. The 1.95 size kept for older bikes, newer bikes could support wider rims, possibly a motorbike ready frame equipt with fat wheels

Tires and wheels are the wrong place to skimp, rag joints and ' bicycle wheels ' should become a thing of the past. Motorbikes are too fast for cheapo wheels.

Somewhere I saw some Honda moped tires that fit 26" bicycle wheels, about $50 each, under a thread about DOT Rated tires. I'll see if I can google it. Here, made by Continental. http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=23966&page=6

EUR 30 each, can probalby be found stateside by looking around or calling moped shops
http://classic-cycle.de/en/Tires-Tu...Tire-26-x-2-Moped-2-22-Continental-black.html

There is a hub out there for MB made or sold by Grubee, which have thread-on sprockets or spiders. I think they are $80.

I agree, the rubber rag joints suck.

I think , too, that the market could easily support a made mb with heavy duty stuff. Most of these bikes are kind of a rehash of 1920's motorcycle stuff, with WAY lighter and simpler engines, so I don't see why it would be so hard to make an out-of-the-box MB that is purpose built and not a heavy MOPED with the crank-through-transmission gearing.

Last edited:
I've been saying this for a long time now.
We need a Motorcycle strength tire in bicycle rim sizes.
One of the best I've come across is the Specialized "Hemisphere" (26x1.95, maximum width)Armadillo Kevlar series for 26" rims and the Specialized "Nimbus" Armadillo Kevlar series for 29ers or 700c rims.
I've got thousands of street/road miles on these tires with no flats or failures.
These are NOT race tires, but they stand up to my Morini bikes very well.
Check em out.
FR

696352-LFR0H71.jpg

I have been looking into some tires for my bike and so far nothing looks better than the Schwable Big Apple. With the thick casing and wide tire it seems like it would hug the corners, stop on a dime, and even smooth out some of the road. The only down side to them is their price.
Currently I am running the Maxxis Overdrive. They are pretty smooth tires and not very expensive when on sale. The only problem to me is that they are only 1.75" wide. They are fine so far to be honest but I would just really like the added comfort during corrnering at high speeds and pannic stops.

The big Apples are more than worth there price! Scwalbes tires will out last the wheel there mounted to. all of my bikes with or with out motors all have Schwalbe's on them. I found them to be the best brand out there.

Back