Motorize Bike Packing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little bit off topic.
Ethanol is a good cooking fuel for bike touring/ camping or "bike packing" certainly more stable and safe than a splash of petrol. :)
The alcohol stove can be as simple as a used food can or a cut down beer can. You can substitute purple meths if you run out of the ethanol, just don't get any on your dishes or clothes. Isopropyl alcohol is overpriced but it will do the job if that's all you can get hold of. :)
You can use ethanol as a safer accelerant for starting a wood fire. :)
Gas stoves are not so versatile, so I always use the alcohol.

Sterno was another common heating fuel people would drink.
None of those people are around anymore except maybe that guy in the Andromeda Strain movie hehehe.

Just to change the topic even more...
How many of you ever made a glowing hot air balloon from a couple of straws, a dry cleaning bag, a little square of tin foil, some tape, and a flaming rubbing alcohol soaked cotton ball?

Heck, Arizona is well known for 'unexplained lights in the night sky' hehehe, of course we are, and the weather conditions are perfect for them again right now ;-}

BACK TO THE SUBJECT
HAD A CLOSE CALL
Damn near got nailed today miss my tube by a fraction the Mountain tire is only about 2 months old and it's nearly bald so if your thinking of buying new tires by one or two for street cruising dirt tires are too soft for pavement also slower the wiggle around pavement. I have a white wall oval tread been using it 2 years very little wear on it waiting for Walmart to get that in and also solid rubber tubes they discontinue selling.

Attachments

• IMG_20170312_094212.jpg
    IMG_20170312_094212.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 125
BACK TO THE SUBJECT
HAD A CLOSE CALL
Damn near got nailed today miss my tube by a fraction the Mountain tire is only about 2 months old and it's nearly bald so if your thinking of buying new tires by one or two for street cruising dirt tires are too soft for pavement also slower the wiggle around pavement. I have a white wall oval tread been using it 2 years very little wear on it waiting for Walmart to get that in and also solid rubber tubes they discontinue selling.
I bought a pair of Halo Twin Rail II (dual compound, multi use tread, puncture protection strip) for my build but recently found these with extra thick puncture protection strips. They sound pretty good, the company has a good reputation and I think the tread pattern is just right for touring:
https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/60899/Halo_Twin_Rail_Berlin_26Inch_Tyre

I bought a pair of Halo Twin Rail II (dual compound, multi use tread, puncture protection strip) for my build but recently found these with extra thick puncture protection strips. They sound pretty good, the company has a good reputation and I think the tread pattern is just right for touring:
https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/60899/Halo_Twin_Rail_Berlin_26Inch_Tyre
They have at bike shops like a pancake batter you pour in the tire then you fill it with air never get flat in THAT TIRE the pancake batter cost $78.00 per tire Xs 2 tires that's a lot of loot just got through saying that tire lasted 2 months so your next tire your gonna half to spend it again. The solid rubber tire you just pull it out slide it in the next tire, I met a guy at the bike store said he bought a pair 20 years ago still got em. So it's a good investment!

When I was in Arizona bought a green slime strips said they stop punches. I say a large field solid bullhead sticker laugh lets go I'm protected came up with over 300 puncher per tube had to buy new tube knew the s**t would never work. Thought of taking a steel band lace the tire that would make it bullet proof, but might sever the sidewall.

They have at bike shops like a pancake batter you pour in the tire then you fill it with air never get flat in THAT TIRE the pancake batter cost $78.00 per tire Xs 2 tires that's a lot of loot just got through saying that tire lasted 2 months so your next tire your gonna half to spend it again. The solid rubber tire you just pull it out slide it in the next tire, I met a guy at the bike store said he bought a pair 20 years ago still got em. So it's a good investment!

When I was in Arizona bought a green slime strips said they stop punches. I say a large field solid bullhead sticker laugh lets go I'm protected came up with over 300 puncher per tube had to buy new tube knew the sh*t would never work. Thought of taking a steel band lace the tire that would make it bullet proof, but might sever the sidewall.
I don't fancy trying a mousse personally, in fact I think the regular Twin Rail II's I have will be sufficient for my routes; but as I was very impressed with the price, tread, and the recommended on/off road pressures of these tyres I thought it worth mentioning the so-called "Berlin Edition" of the same tyre for those who may be interested. :)

When I was in Arizona bought a green slime strips said they stop punches. I say a large field solid bullhead sticker laugh lets go I'm protected came up with over 300 puncher per tube had to buy new tube knew the sh*t would never work. Thought of taking a steel band lace the tire that would make it bullet proof, but might sever the sidewall.
Were you probed by aliens or your relatives or something?

The solid rubber tire you just pull it out slide it in the next tire,
I met a guy at the bike store said he bought a pair 20 years ago still got em.
That tells you two things...
He barley rides the thing if it still has tire tread after 20 years, and that he most likely doesn't ride much because of the extremely uncomfortable ride you get with solid tires.

I like a comfortable ride and air in the tires helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back