Crashes motorized biker killed in hit and run

Tucson. Ask any driver here and we have the dumbest drivers. I watched an old woman wait 10 seconds (must have felt forever to those behind her) to turn right on a green arrow. I am fortunate that the drivers here are a little "slow". Too cold in Buff but thanks for the offer.

This terrible tragedy illustrates the need to be diligently mindful of traffic when riding our bikes. Bill and Jim are 'right on'. Pick your routes. Avoid major thoroughfares. Actually it's kinda fun IMO. Your traveling slow enough to actually see what your traveling by. It makes the ride more than a pointA to pointB experience! Augi's also right. Lights are one of your Best friends on a MB. Many of us are using automotive 12 volt lights. The bike lights I tried were woefully inadequate and very poorly made.

I have two bikes, the one with the larger headlight seems to get more noticed than the smaller but much brighter led headlight. Even when not turned on the larger headlight is seen by drivers and I get "some" respect with it.

I am sorry for this rider and his family. My condolences.

I try not to ride at night. Old eyes, lurking potholes and cracks, bad roads, inattentive drivers. If darkness arrives, I ride the bikepath and sidewalks slowwwwwly. All pedestrians and other bikes own the rights of way.

This is my wake up call when approaching intersections, driveways, etc.:geek:

Even when I rode a Honda 750 ACE , I did NOT ride at night-it's just too dangerous! Like on my motorcycle, my moto-bike has flashing headlights and taillights during daytime riding. I also wear a bright red safety vest from Harbor Freight ($5.00), use a squeeze bulb horn and just mounted an Airzounds horn. Wear a helmet and fingerless gloves too! I've noticed that people are generally more respectful of me when they can discern that I am trying to be safe. Flashing the peace sign doesn't hurt either!;) The Harpo Marx horn normally gets lotsa larfs also, but of course many cagers simply cannot hear it-I reserve it for pedestrians:)-Gearhead.

Back