My daily commuter (first proper build)

Hi guys,

After a long and tiresome search ive finally picked a bike to start my first proper commuter build, Its a Fluid Method mountain bike, 21 speed, 26" wheels, disk brakes and front suspension.
fluidmethod.jpg

Dad picked it up for me yesterday, im getting it from his house tommorow.

The motor will be a Z Box 49cc HT that ive had for a few years now, but with RSE clutch, billet throttle and possibly dual brake lever, and an SBP shift kit

I am also getting a friend of mine to CNC machine a "200w powermax" logo into the clutch cover and put a build plate on the magneto cover similar to what the RSE 200w motors have, ive also printed off and laminated a dyno graph of 198.4w max power so hopefully these should fool most police into thinking it is under the 200w legal limit where i live.

High on the list of priorities when i get the bike are also front and rear lights, some kind of horn, and a nice comfy seat depending how it feels.

Thanks for looking, il get some pics of the actual bike and motor up tommorow if i have time :)

ahh ok fair enough, what rear wheel or sprocket clamp are you using? have you considered a hub mounted sprocket or HD wheel? and nice job with the horn haha

You have a lot of very crafty ideas on this bike. I really like how you've documented everything with pictures, that makes it much easier for hands-on people like me to understand what you're doing.
This is probably the best bike build I've ever followed. Your horn was an especially cool idea. How does your 12v system hold up to all the stuff you have running on it? I've based my build around standard AA and AAA sized battery applications for cost effectiveness and ease of replacement reasons. Also because if so chosen, rechargeables of 3 different chemistries could be used in place of alkaline, in addition to weather resistant standard chemistries such as lithium. I figured that was the most flexible system. Your latest headlamps are also pretty cool. I got two 6-volt (4 AAA) high lumen flashlights made for cycling, but have yet to test their performance (hopefully my build thread will be visible soon, its not as of this submittal) and I would surely love to hear your opinions on it as you seem to be very good at this.

Wow! Lot's of cool stuff! I guess we have a few things in common. I made a trailer too. Heavy duty for carrying heavy loads of up to 250 kilos. Only at extremely low speeds on forest roads though. If you have time to brake and aren't going down a hill, the weight will actually work as a brake and slow you. There are no hills where I am planning to go with it and haul prospecting equipment. Actually the trailer I made can carry up to 450 kilos, so maybe if I had a pitbike to hook up to it I could carrry more. The nice thing about the motored bicyce is that it only cost $10 to have it put in the baggage wagon when I took a thousand mile ride on a train to the far northern forests. The trailer and equipment will cost about twice that much. A pitbike or motorcycle will cost considerably more and is not allowed to tow a trailer on roads. Mopeds and bicycles are (though I could be breaking some weight limits).

SDC17340.jpgSDC17335.jpgSDC17336.jpg998053_10200503133844142_557573565_n.jpg?????? 004.jpg?????? 005.jpg?????? 006.jpg

Back