Need advice on a stand for repairs

I never heard of a turbo trainer. Just googled it. COOL idea!!!! Gees just get the rear axle off the ground, be a great exercise bike, AND be a way to adjust gears, AND even start the motor.
Now… what do you consider "cheap?" Lowest I could find was about 60.00 and they all look like they have some kind of motor on them. Not needed really. Just that frame and a way to attach the rear wheel is all that's needed.
I'll have to do more hunting. But something like that might do the trick. At least for the rear wheel. Might be good enough even for installing a new motor.
Yeah when I said cheap, it was comparatively speaking. Cheaper than the other ones. I paid £50 from a European supermarket.
They are ideal for derailleur adjustment due to the frame being flexed in a realistic way.
For a means of exercising and getting used to being in the saddle they require a thin, bald trainer-specific tyre to prevent the annoying buzz you get from tread. You could use an old tyre but don't use your decent tyres for exercising on the trainer or it could delaminate any thick tyre from constantly bending over the roller and it also wears it flat in the middle so I've heard. The noise is enough to get a specific tyre on there for that anyway. You also need a plan for attaching the tv remote and a towel to catch the sweat, and a fan is good too. :)
You could install the engine using it as the stand, as long as you are comfortable with the height or can put ge whole thing up on a table.. but I just use it for derailleur adjustment and for working on bags and such mostly! :)
Swapping out wheels and bigger jobs like that I normally use the mechanics stand :)

Trainer…. lol. I can't think of many things more boring than sitting on a bike INDOORS looking at the wall. Sweating. ya not. Besides, once I got a motorized bike, I scarcely pedal at all other than to start the engine. Thought I would. Yea only turn on the motor to assist. Yea not. ZOOM ZOOM. Besides, the thing is a tank. Ran out of gas once, only two miles from home. Thought oh well, no big deal. Yea…. three block later I BEGGED the gas station attendant to let me have a small cup full of gas so I could get home.

I do like the idea of some form of axle stand, at least for engine tweaking.

sigh… I'm going to have to design something myself. I can't find bike repair stands strong enough to hold up a 75 lb bike. All made for light weight racing bikes I guess. Flimsy.

I wish I could find just a clamp at least that would grasp the frame. I could build something to attach that to. 2x4s work. Simple stand ya know?
Here, just look at the clamp part. Only NOT made of cheap plastic like I'm sure this one is.
Anyone know where I could find a metal one? I can always glue in some rubber to save the paint. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231238311846?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back