Need help on how to install small gear in the clutch gear box...

I figured out that I lost my woodruff key so I'm going to have to order another one. I found an ATV repair place that will help me put the gear one once I have it.

I also lost the screw that secures the flower nut on the clutch. Any ideas on how I could replace that without bringing the motor inside a hardware store and randomly trying screws?

Well......the screw will be metric, which is common on ATV's also. You might tell them that your missing a screw and see if they have one that will fit. (I never had a problem carrying the motor into Home Depot or Lowes.......the people that help me find what I am looking for think that its cool.....another MBer born with each visit)

small plastic cups come in handy for throwing screws in while dissassembling something.
That way, nothing gets lost, unless you lose the whole cup.

A simple solution would be to unscrew the flower nut and pull the pressure plate off the engine. (the pressure plate will slide right off after the flower nut is removed. beware tho because the clutch pads may fall out...don't panic, they just get placed right back into their holes.
Then you can take just the plate to the hardware store to get the right screw.
However...
The bad part is that when you put the pressure plate and flower nut back on, you have to know how to re-adjust the clutch with the flower nut.
You will have to know where to set the flower nut because you can't just tighten it down until it won't turn anymore.
You have to know when to stop tightening it for the clutch to work right. You can adjust the clutch by tightening / loosening the flower nut. If it's set too loose, the clutch won't engauge, if it's set too tight, the clutch won't disengage....there is a happy medium, and every clutch has it's own happy medium.
This is why it has the locking screw, because the flower not will not be all the way tight when the clutch is adjusted right...the locking screw keeps the flower nut from loosening up by itself.
I supposed that you could try to count the number of turns that it takes to remove the flower nut, and then when you screw it back on, tighten it the same number of turns and then install the locking screw.

Last edited:
Back