Break In New 80cc break in weird noise + low performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, and completely stripping the small gear sometimes happens if factory didn't put anything on there

yes, and completely stripping the small gear sometimes happens if factory didn't put anything on there
The flathead screw on the small clutch gear came out on my first ride. I figured it was because it wasnt tightened all the way. Now that i think about it its probably from poor greasing. Will grease asap.

STOP

that is not a normal thing and may indicate several other problems - first, did you make sure that the woodruff key that holds that gear in place is still in there and not missing or sheared off? - second, when you tightened it down, did you check that the gear was properly seated on the taper of the crankshaft so that you could see it turning straight with no wobble when you spun the motor?

this is important

STOP

that is not a normal thing and may indicate several other problems - first, did you make sure that the woodruff key that holds that gear in place is still in there and not missing or sheared off? - second, when you tightened it down, did you check that the gear was properly seated on the taper of the crankshaft so that you could see it turning straight with no wobble when you spun the motor?

this is important
I didnt look for a woodruff key when putting the screw back in but the gear was seated properly and turned fine. I can check for the key after work. WHat exactly am I looking for? It was a very short ride and I went home as soon s the rattling occured. Took the cover off and the screw was sitting in it. Tightened the screw back on and the noise stopped. The only noise now is what is mentioned in the video.

if the gear stayed tight, the key is probably ok - if you take screw out and stick a sewing needle or small wire into slot, it will stop when it hits the key if the key is there - starting motor with clutch cover off and looking will tell you if gear is straight

easy to check, but can cost you a motor if it is wrong

I didnt look for a woodruff key when putting the screw back in but the gear was seated properly and turned fine. I can check for the key after work. WHat exactly am I looking for?
if the gear stayed tight, the key is probably ok - if you take screw out and stick a sewing needle or small wire into slot, it will stop when it hits the key if the key is there - starting motor with clutch cover off and looking will tell you if gear is straight

easy to check, but can cost you a motor if it is wrong
Yeah I tightened it around 4 yesterday, heard the clutch noises i mentioned in the video, took the cover off and it was still on there tight. Ill do the needle check later. So greasing everything and new engine break in could help with the noise? Im hoping there is a power increase, I live in a hilly area and I currently cant get up a hill without trouble. Ill switch to a 20:1 Lucas Semi mix and adjust my carb accordingly and hopefully that does something.

Flat and monotoned. There is no change in power with WOT uphill. If i lower the throttle it still runs but very low performance. Once I level out it runs a little better. My old engine using the same carb would go uphill at a decent speed with minimal peddling required.
Do you know if that carb was rejetted for the previous engine? I ask because flat and mono toned usually means lean witch also causes lack of power!

Do you know if that carb was rejetted for the previous engine? I ask because flat and mono toned usually means lean witch also causes lack of power!
No. I bought the carb off ebay and i havent done anything other than mess with the slide needle.

No. I bought the carb off ebay and i havent done anything other than mess with the slide needle.
Ok so that makes me think there is an air leak making it go lean!When at idle does it surge in rpm or stay at a high idle after releasing the throttle?

Ok so that makes me think there is an air leak making it go lean!When at idle does it surge in rpm or stay at a high idle after releasing the throttle?
It idles without surge not crazy high, but a little higher than my old engine, the idle screw is in pretty far. If i try and unscrew it, the engine will die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back