New Staton Products

I saw this last night. I can't tell from the description if this a shift on the fly type sprocket? Maybe you move the chain over manually to get the desired gear power ratio? Hopefully more information will follow later this month.

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/products/5_Speed_Shift_kit_for_the_OUTSIDE_Gear_Chain_Drive_Kits-1000-27.html

It sounds like David is using a dérailleur to shift on the fly, from the description of "granny gear" being manual. I used a modified front dérailleur on my two speed but as I was running 410 chain, with a 16 & 13 tooth track sprockets, more gears weren't an option. Would be interested to see his setup, probably doesn't want to show it because of user duplication.

Last edited by a moderator:
to Reb1, I run a tandem bike. I have the Staton chain drive kit. My photos are not yet posted on his site of my bike.

I wanted to make a comment regarding your decision about these kits. It is related to the topic because it involves the possibility of needing the extra gears.

I seen Statons latest developments. The 2 or 3 speed for outside drive kits. From the pictures, it doesn't look good to me "unless" we can get way lower gearing ! He's showing a 16 tooth on the small gear ! I have a 11 tooth on the top now and its a pretty good gear for slow speed. It has a lot of torque right from the start. You really don't have to pedal assist starts that low. I still do. But at cruise speed with an 11 you are really limited. I never got around to check my cruise speed with the GPS yet. But its slow from my experience and judgment. I did a gear ratio check to see what single gear would be more median than the 11 tooth. I come up with a 14 would be about right with my current engine the Tanaka 40cc. But Staton has these on back order for a long time and I haven't got it yet. So I am about to try the 13 which is close. I also have the 15 to try now but I only anticipate that would be for solo riding. I can't imagine trying a 16 or on up. I think that's too high unless that pictured gear is intended for maybe a smaller wheel. I have 26 inch wheels. I think Staton will get the right gears as soon as he's ready to release that kit though.

I ordered the outside chain drive and then about the time I had received the kit at home. I was reading over the Staton website and only then did I discover the NuVinci kit. But I soon discovered that the NuVinci kit only works with the "inside drive" and I now had the "outside drive" kit. I really need more than a single speed and I sure wished I had known about the other option. Now, I really do not have extra money laying around and it's sure gonna sting to start over purchasing another kit. Lucky I can get a small discount because I can buy the kit less the engine. But if you run strictly flat areas, a single speed might be OK. But running with two persons on the bike, I need low gears to climb big hills and also for slow putting around cities when around people. I need the big gears to take advantage of the downhills and flats in the rural areas.

I'm about to order the NuVinci soon. I think it might be better in the long run over these added gears.

You don't have to buy the Staton inside drive box. You can convert your outside drive to inside drive. Staton sells the special gear and bearing to retrofit. Then you simply drill the right-side cover to accept the bearing and new gear.:unsure:

Basically, you'll end up with an inside drive/outside drive gearbox.:geek:

Back