New Wheel, belt problems

Vuit

Local time
12:29 PM
I recently got a new wheel for my 99 WC-1 and I've got it on but I can't seem to get the belt tight enough to turn the motor, Do i need a different belt? I keep trying to tighten it but its never enough, ive tried pulling the tire back but it's already been as far as it'll go, I don't know what to do next, I would really appreciate some help

Attachments

• 20230903_153424.jpg
    20230903_153424.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230903_153428.jpg
    20230903_153428.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 81
Compare my clutch spring to your clutch spring
See how the coils on my clutch spring are all evenly spaced as it's stretched holding the correct belt tension
View attachment 198122

Now look at your clutch spring, it's stretched out (deformed), yeah that little bit will make a diff on the belt tension
Thanks, We managed to actually make it work, so its up and running at the moment but i'll look into a new one

As I recall from your original post back in February, you had "belt tension" issues and that same spring was mentioned. It looks like the same one in these recent pictures. I tried putting lighter easier to install spring on mine some time ago, and it was not strong enough and the belt slipped terribly. Proper spring tension is critical to efficient running.

As I recall from your original post back in February, you had "belt tension" issues and that same spring was mentioned. It looks like the same one in these recent pictures. I tried putting lighter easier to install spring on mine some time ago, and it was not strong enough and the belt slipped terribly. Proper spring tension is critical to efficient running.
Yeah, I would like to a get a newer one, although my concern is how hard it will be to get it on, i've gotten used to getting the current one on fairly quicky and that sucker still has got a lot of energy stored

Yeah, I would like to a get a newer one, although my concern is how hard it will be to get it on, i've gotten used to getting the current one on fairly quicky and that sucker still has got a lot of energy stored
Take the clutch and clutch arm off the bike, with the clutch on the clutch arm and the clutch arm mounting bolt in position with the threads sticking out on the Left side (spring is already hanging on the bike) slide the spring onto the clutch arm then pull down on the clutch and you'll be able to get enough leverage to slide the arm on the mounting bolt
Easy

Take the clutch and clutch arm off the bike, with the clutch on the clutch arm and the clutch arm mounting bolt in position with the threads sticking out on the Left side (spring is already hanging on the bike) slide the spring onto the clutch arm then pull down on the clutch and you'll be able to get enough leverage to slide the arm on the mounting bolt
Easy
Until Wrench taught me this trick, I really struggled with that spring. This is one of the best tips I have gotten on my Whizzer as this was a Major PITA for me many times.

I recently got a new wheel for my 99 WC-1 and I've got it on but I can't seem to get the belt tight enough to turn the motor, Do i need a different belt? I keep trying to tighten it but its never enough, ive tried pulling the tire back but it's already been as far as it'll go, I don't know what to do next, I would really appreciate some help
The belt could be too narrow or just too short.

Back