New Zeda Inframe Petcock Issue?

Sumsloppymeet

Local time
12:33 PM
I Purchased a petcock form sickbikeparts.com and now see that the size of the inframes tanks threads are close but not quite the same size as the petcock should i tap or die or what to which piece ???

If the thread is to tight, don't tap or force it in. If you can thread it in about 3/4 of the way, I'd say wrap the threads on the petcock with plumber's tape (thread sealing tape) and screw it back in.

look up 'pipe thread' in google - that may be what you have and it is best for these

Is this for a Skyhawk frame?

I ended up running I think it is a 1/8 NPT tap in mine as I couldn't find the right size thread for it and everything I tried wouldn't start. Said screw it and went slow with my NPT tap and tapped it to a size I know.

Its hard to say I was told it was a 1/8 NPT I don't know. I asked Grubee himself and he told me he made the change and its hard to tell which it is. He told me that he just handed the shut off valve to them and said make the frame with threads for this fitting.

IMO the petcock is probably the easiest and safest part to rethread, if you have a bolt that threads into the frame well and that bolt also threads into a die well then that die is probably the right thing to go with.

If you can't get a good match, as in a matching bolt doesn't thread into the frame well at all then it's the frame that's too small. Could even be a different type of thread that uses different depths for the thread, when I come across that I can sometimes fix it with some fine sandpaper to take the edge off.

Are those frames aluminum or steel? I wouldn't be very hesitant to grease the fittings up if the petcock was brass or some odd pot metal that would deform against steel threads, it's not a part that will be disassembled much if at all after assembly so a once through and then backing it out to put teflon on it would likely be something I'd do..

IMO the petcock is probably the easiest and safest part to rethread, if you have a bolt that threads into the frame well and that bolt also threads into a die well then that die is probably the right thing to go with.

If you can't get a good match, as in a matching bolt doesn't thread into the frame well at all then it's the frame that's too small. Could even be a different type of thread that uses different depths for the thread, when I come across that I can sometimes fix it with some fine sandpaper to take the edge off.

Are those frames aluminum or steel? I wouldn't be very hesitant to grease the fittings up if the petcock was brass or some odd pot metal that would deform against steel threads, it's not a part that will be disassembled much if at all after assembly so a once through and then backing it out to put teflon on it would likely be something I'd do..

These threads are aluminum mine the first couple threads were screwed up so I had to use a tap. I didn't use grease either I just stood the frame up right so the tap allowed the aluminum bits to fall out.

These threads are aluminum mine the first couple threads were screwed up so I had to use a tap. I didn't use grease either I just stood the frame up right so the tap allowed the aluminum bits to fall out.
I grease ill fitting parts just to help prevent galling from totally ripping whatever I'm working on a new as***le.

Good that you did it dry to keep the chip from hanging around, I would still absolutely flush it out with water and dry it with compressed air, aluminum doesn't rust so I'd have no concern with using nature's cheapest cleanser.

Back