Clutch Newbie fixing a clutch.

Thanks Porkchop!
I dunno even what kind of engine I got !
Bought it as a basketcase from a college student.
The other engine I got says red bat on the box... another college student... but I can't find any info on them, either!
My first experience with these.
I have not yet seen one with an auto clutch on the right side. even as an option or add-on. Who sells em?

Tnx
rc

Thanks Porkchop!
The other engine I got says red bat on the box... another college student... but I can't find any info on them, either!
I have not yet seen one with an auto clutch on the right side. even as an option or add-on. Who sells em?

Tnx
rc

There are several people that sell them. Look through the list of sponsors on this forum and you’ll find ‘em. They’re fairly common. If you want more info, create a new post of your own or PM me. Let’s not take over feldeee’s post or get of his topic here.

No, actually that's fine- now I'm interested!!
Well.....O.K. If you guys want to know something, ask away. Like I said, I have a brand new engine with a centrifugal clutch add on that is unassembled sitting on my bench. I'll explain and photo what I can.

Thanks Porkchop!

Tnx
rc
Feldeee says we're O.K. with our discussion here on his post, so why don't you post photos of your engines and see if someone can identify them for you. I don't think brand names mean a whole lot. I'm not an expert by any means on the Chinese 2 strokes, but from what I've gathered here on this forum, they're all pretty much the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feldeee, did you buy your engine new or used ? Did you put the centrifugal clutch on it or was it already there ? I assume you didn’t install the clutch, if so you would know how to get it off. Did you figure it out yet ? It’s really very simple. If you need help, let me know.

I bought my engine new, I came as a whole kit with a bike separate also, I just put all of the parts together and just fine tuned everything. It ran great for over two years until I got tired of constantly messing with the clutch and finally couldn't get it to work at all. I wanted to get it going again, but got sidetrack with home improvement items when I got the new clutch arm in and then discovered my loose pin problem (shown in orig pic).

Wrong??!

When I started the post, common sense told me that after looking at picture 1 (see attach 1) I needed to get the pin back into the hole and my problem was just getting the clutch apart to do so. Well, I finally used the advice throughout the thread (thanks again everyone) and got it apart today, and what the helk?? The other 2 pins that look inserted in attach 1 don't go all the way through, and the pin that I found out of its hole doesn't even fit into any of the open slots at all- see attach 2. So what the helk, don't get it!! It is probably easier to install a complete new engine, so I'll start looking for recommendations along with suggestions on fixing the clutch.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 151
Fun learnin abt these little thangs, isn't it F ?

If you look closely, the slots are open a bit more so in a particular area where the pin rides... There IS a wear pattern !
It's a very simple, crude design. (I guess pirated from the russians who had stolen it from the germans long ago)
Apparently the cover retains the pin?
If it does not, perhaps you could peen around the hole in the shoe to tighten up the clearance to a press fit, and maybe use a dab of epoxy on it???

Good luck
rc

Last edited:
When I started the post, common sense told me that after looking at picture 1 (see attach 1) I needed to get the pin back into the hole and my problem was just getting the clutch apart to do so. Well, I finally used the advice throughout the thread (thanks again everyone) and got it apart today, and what the helk?? The other 2 pins that look inserted in attach 1 don't go all the way through, and the pin that I found out of its hole doesn't even fit into any of the open slots at all- see attach 2. So what the helk, don't get it!! It is probably easier to install a complete new engine, so I'll start looking for recommendations along with suggestions on fixing the clutch.
You don't need to replace the whole engine. Just buy a new clutch. They're not expensive at all. Look through the list of sponsors here on the site or eBay. Shouldn't be to difficult to find !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back