Clutch Newbie fixing a clutch.

That is one of the things I don't get... The pin doesn't fit. Where did it come from? (I've got a workshop in my garage, I could make anything fit anywhere, but also the two other pins in attach 1 end right after that first plate. Aren't those the pins that should be poking through the holes in the part in attach 2? I don't want to start modifying any parts until I figure out what is going on. Or again, I'll just save myself some time and headaches and buy myself new parts- clutch that will fit.
Thanks

Hey F, the fix seems so simple to me I wouldn't bother purchasing a new clutch!
Apparently I'm unable to communicate well enough to explain what's needed to re-assemble it.

That center disk, with the three slots in it's perimeter acts as part of the hinge upon which the shoes swing, like a door. (They also locate the shoes, because the shoes are designed with two layers that slip on each side of that disk. Keeps them from coming out, and leaving the machine!)

The hole on one end of the shoe acts as another part of the hinge, and that pin you have floating around is the missing hinge pin... just like a door in your house. Doesn't make too much difference that it's only attached on one side of the shoe, but of course we wish it were both, because that would be a better design. It must be a roll pin, if it is not fitting quite right. It compresses when installed to hold itself in position.
Crude, yet effective.

I'm sry I have not learned how to modify pics with lines and arrows with directions to what goes where... I should work on that!

If you were to insert that pin in the shoe that is without one, (drive it in with a small hammer if necessary), all three should slip onto that center disk and the assembly could be slipped onto the crank, protruding within the case.

It may be necessary to dress the edges of the three slots on the perimeter of the disk with a file to make everything fit smoothly.

It's a really simple, crude design, and should work well enough for the intended purpose. It's just not a real clean, smooth operating design, but is good value for what it is.

Porkchop seems to have more direct experience on the actual product, and even one on his workbench! Maybe he can give further instruction or tell you which part of mine is possibly goofing things up! LoL

Best
rc

rustyc, this is exactly what I expected to see, I guess I am the one not explaining things well, and before going into elaborate detail, I will just put it this way... mine is just broke. The other two pins must be broke, because again- they are too short to even reach the center disk (they must have broken off at one point).

This is getting to lengthy guys. To much to try and explain through typing. PM me a phone number if you'd like and maybe I can walk you through it over the phone. Yes, I have experience with centrifugal clutches from mini bikes and other things through the years. They are simple, but even good ones don't really last long. In general they're cheap and easy to fix and/or replace. Let me know. I'm only here to help ! And yes, as rustycase said, if I could find roller pins to fit, I'd fix it before replacing it.

Last edited:
O.K. guys, here's one for ya ! I just disassembled a brand new centrifugal clutch and snapped a few photos. The pins in the shoes are not peened. They are just a tight pressed fit. I think the photos are self explanatory. If you have questions, let me know. One photo is a close up of the pin. Look at the profile. One shoulder is longer than the other. Doesn’t appear to matter which side of the shoe it goes in from. It is easier however to insert the pin into the shoe starting with the longer shoulder. Makes it a little easier to get the pin lined up and started through the second hole on the opposite side of the shoe. And did I mention the retainer spring is a bear to get back on ? Easy however if you’re smart and have the proper tools. Photo 6 is an end shot of a shoe with the pin inserted. Looks like the pin is peened, but trust me, is not. This is from the factory. It's not the pin I removed. Notice the rough milling. Good 'ole Chinese quality control. Now you know why I went with a friction drive set up with a Honda engine !!! I ride only for fun/pleasure. Not in wet weather, so roller to tire slippage is not an issue for me. Just wanted something fun and most of all, dependable !

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG