No spark on mini pocket bike

Shac

Local time
1:58 AM
Hi, new member here, thanks for letting me join the forum. My grandson has a Chinese mini pocket bike and I can't get a spark on it. Does anyone know what the correct ohms readings should be on the coil. Also if anyone has any ideas on what else could prevent a spark I would be very grateful. Thanks

Hi, new member here, thanks for letting me join the forum. My grandson has a Chinese mini pocket bike and I can't get a spark on it. Does anyone know what the correct ohms readings should be on the coil. Also if anyone has any ideas on what else could prevent a spark I would be very grateful. Thanks
Does that little bike have a pull start? You can check the coil and make sure it's aligned with the mag.

Do you have a 2 stroke 66/80cc china girl engine?

Check for proper timing. At TDC the cut outs in the magnet will be in the 12:00, and 6:00 position. The key will be at the 1:00 position.
1. Improper wiring? Black magneto wire to black CDI wire, blue magneto wire to blue CDI wire. White…either remove or isolate.
2. Kill switch defective? Do not hook it up until you get the engine running. When hooking up the wires, don’t pay attention to colors. One wire connects to the blue magneto/CDI wires; the other wire connects to the black magneto/CDI wires.
3. Defective magneto?.testing All readings are approximate.
Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale 200 Ohms
Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire.----> 2 Ohms
Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire.----> 300-400 ohms.
4. Defective CDI?..testing All readings are approximate.
Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire----> infinite (no activity)
Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire.----> 130-150 K ohms
Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire.--->135-155K ohms
Switch to Low Scale 20K
Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead.----> 2.5 - 2.7 K ohms

Do you have a 2 stroke 66/80cc china girl engine?

Check for proper timing. At TDC the cut outs in the magnet will be in the 12:00, and 6:00 position. The key will be at the 1:00 position.
1. Improper wiring? Black magneto wire to black CDI wire, blue magneto wire to blue CDI wire. White…either remove or isolate.
2. Kill switch defective? Do not hook it up until you get the engine running. When hooking up the wires, don’t pay attention to colors. One wire connects to the blue magneto/CDI wires; the other wire connects to the black magneto/CDI wires.
3. Defective magneto?.testing All readings are approximate.
Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale 200 Ohms
Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire.----> 2 Ohms
Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire.----> 300-400 ohms.
4. Defective CDI?..testing All readings are approximate.
Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire----> infinite (no activity)
Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire.----> 130-150 K ohms
Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire.--->135-155K ohms
Switch to Low Scale 20K
Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead.----> 2.5 - 2.7 K ohms
It's a pocket bike, so I imagine one of these kind of motors. https://www.amazon.ca/RONSHIN-Acces...2214&sprefix=pocket+bike+motor,aps,214&sr=8-5

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I'm guessing the Coil is internally shorted. I hear that's problematic with a pocket bike. They get left outside and moisture gets inside the coil - Internal rust
Not sure what the Coil ohms are, but I hear it's 10 x greater than the smaller wire from the Coil

I also hear the easiest way to test a pocket bike coil is to see how far you can throw it :LOL: - Electrical - just buy a new one

Last edited:
Back