NY is getting tougher on lifetime DL revocations.

darwin

Local time
8:57 PM
New Traffic Regulations in New York Permanently Ban Some Post-DWI License Reinstatements
Although drunk driving convictions already result in severe penalties for New York drivers, Governor Cuomo raised the stakes a few weeks ago by imposing new regulations. The new rules will prevent some New York residents from having revoked licenses reinstated — permanently prohibiting them from driving in the state.
Based on other criminal traffic violations in New York, some drivers will also face longer reinstatement periods. Governor Cuomo positioned these changes as a safety move, but the reality is that they will have harsh consequences for many individuals charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI).
New York’s Old Revocation and Reinstatement Rules
Under the old rules, repeat offenders already faced the possibility of a revoked driver’s license after multiple DWI or driving while ability impaired (DWAI) convictions. Drivers could lose their licenses for a long period of time if they received: three convictions within four years or four convictions within eight years.
However, drivers could still reapply for a new driver’s license after the revocation period ended. This allowed drivers to make positive changes to move on with an independent, productive life. Permanent revocation was possible, but not all that common. Under these new laws, it will likely become more common.
New Traffic Rules Impose Harsher Penalties and Longer Revocations
The new regulations impose significantly higher penalties on New York drivers. First, the regulations allow the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (NY DMV) to look at a driver’s entire lifetime record when considering an application. This means that a conviction would still count even 20 or more years after the fact.
Second, taking into consideration every conviction on a driver’s lifetime record, the NY DMV will always automatically deny any applications where:
  • A driver has five or more DWI or DWAI convictions (no matter how long ago the offenses were)
  • A driver has three or more DWI or DWAI convictions in the last 25 years plus another serious traffic offense. A serious traffic offense could include a fatal accident or combination of other traffic violations – even if those offenses are completely unrelated to alcohol or drugs.
Third, the new regulations also impose longer reinstatement delays for other drivers. Drivers who do not fall under the permanent revocation provision but still have multiple DWI convictions may have to wait an additional five years to regain their full driving privileges. (Depending on the circumstances, those drivers might be eligible to receive a restricted license that would allow them to drive only to work or to receive medical care.)
Finally, the new regulations remove drivers’ ability to seek an early reinstatement of a suspended driver’s license. Under the older rules, drivers could complete special training programs to accelerate reinstatement. Now, however, all revocation or suspension periods are mandatory, regardless of special circumstances that might justify a reduction.
Severe Consequences for Drivers Charged with DWI in New York
As a result of these new rules, the consequences for DWI charges are now even higher for New York drivers. Multiple convictions may result in permanent loss of driving privileges in the state or an even lengthier suspension period. The government estimates that the new rules will affect 20,000 New York drivers this year.
New York says that the new regulations are motivated by safety concerns. However, by looking back at a driver’s lifetime driving record and permanently depriving drivers of driving privileges, individuals who made mistakes early in their youth, could essentially be penalized should they err again. Law such as this seem contrary to the idea that individuals can rehabilitate and return to independent and mobile lives after a DWI conviction.

These rules apply to not just DUI's but point totals so if you get tickets riding a MAB they can add up over the years if moving violations.

Ain't no Traffic Cops in N.Y. City anymore to pull ya over. Mayor De Blasio De funded the Police 1 billion $, What a FOOL
Their thinking about a Non Police Traffic Patrol, Like a drunk will stop for those guys :LOL:

Last edited:
This is the scary part if I'm interpreting it right. " A serious traffic offense could include a fatal accident or combination of other traffic violations – even if those offenses are completely unrelated to alcohol or drugs".

wow, im glad i dont live in NY.

id bet that if they were to extend the DUI dates, you could plead and say that your license could be grandfathered in (50/50 chance of it working) and then just keep doing that.

worst comes to worst, couldnt you just get a license from new jersey? as im assuming laws are slacker there then in NY

wow, im glad i dont live in NY.

id bet that if they were to extend the DUI dates, you could plead and say that your license could be grandfathered in (50/50 chance of it working) and then just keep doing that.

worst comes to worst, couldnt you just get a license from new jersey? as im assuming laws are slacker there then in NY
Ya used to be able to get a D/L from another state when ya got a DUI Because we were still on the Paper File system. But now all the computers are married. Nothing will ever go away or be forgotten any more.

This reminds me In 1992 I got a speeding ticket in AZ. Then in 2012 I got a letter form AZ. saying I owed them $$$ for a speeding ticket
It had been 20 years and I forgot all about it. I called them and said it must be someone else ya got the wrong guy.
But they had my D/L # and said ya sure your were not here in 1992? Then I remembered I was working driving across country 5 times in the early 1990s And yea it was me I got a ticket. The woman on the phone said AZ. had just changed their paper files over to computer and that's why I was being contact 20 years late. She said I didn't have to pay the ticket if I didn't want to. But if I didn't there would be a Bench Warrant out for my arrest in AZ. So I paid the ticket. Now I'm still waiting to hear from Texas and Alabama I got unpaid speeding tickets there too from back in the early 90s I Can't Drive 55mph :LOL:
Sh^t man when I was 16 I got a driving without a license in Hawaii I couldn't get my D/L without paying thousands of $$$$ in insurance money. But it just so happens my folks were going to California to look at property so I went with them and got my D/L while I was in CA. I used my uncles address. I never had a Hawaii D/L and I lived there 25 years. I always renewed my CA. D/L by mail.
Today skirting the law and bending the DMV rules can't happen. All 50 states are Computer Married. Your life is on computer :(

Damn, well that sucks.

Only reason is that i figured you could get it from there since they would still have the old laws applied, and therefor you could qualify to get a license in that state. But im guessing that won't work. But i aint a lawyer

Orr, head down to el border and slap a few 100$ down at a Mexican DMV ;)

A Mexican D/L is only valid for visitors for a limited amount of time.
Residents of the USA can not drive legally in the USA with a Mexican D/L.

Just say your an undocumented worker (Illegal alien) at the New Jersey DMV They will give you a D/L but now ya might get deported :LOL:

Damn, i guess the government is smarter than a 17 year old 😆

I guess the only other option is get a time machine and ride a bike

Driving without a license ain't that bad. Just don't plan anything on your weekends. Friday is when the Cops like to stop ya, So you'll have to spend 3 days in jail until ya can go to court on Monday :LOL: The Cops like to send subliminal messages like that.

Back