Opinions on what engine to build.

GW's Motorized

Local time
6:20 PM
I want to build an engine to make power. There are many different options and I'm trying to decide which way to go.

There is a couple I have looked at, one I've never seen anyone try. These Are the ones I'm considering;

A ms460 engine (at that point I might as well buy a phantom kit)

A ms660 engine, the one I'm really leaning towards.

Or a Husqvarna 395xp engine. It's a 58mm bore cylinder

Opinions? I'd prefer to build one rather than buy a phantom

I love the idea, but I don't know anything about these engines and what is involved in building them. I also would rather build something than buy something

I decided on trying to build one with the Husky cylinder. 58mm bore sounds insane, and I think it would be fun to build something I've never seen done before. I'm going to build this engine piece by piece, starting with just the block and cylinder.

I was browsing amazon awhile ago for parts, when I came across the OCC chopper mount, I think it would make for a good engine building stand for the workbench. Thoughts?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I decided on trying to build one with the Husky cylinder. 58mm bore sounds insane, and I think it would be fun to build something I've never seen done before. I'm going to build this engine piece by piece, starting with just the block and cylinder.

I was browsing amazon awhile ago for parts, when I came across the OCC chopper mount, I think it would make for a good engine building stand for the workbench. Thoughts?

No thoughts other than good luck and have fun. Start a thread for it when you do. What bottom end are you going to use?

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I was considering using it to build a minarelli. I don't really want to machine the case in my BT80. I'd end up ordering some clutch springs and trying different springs if I did that

The 395xp looks like a potential winner, but may have some serious potential hurdles. It's a skirted cylinder, so no matter what you would want/need to bore the case. There is also the likely need/issue of correcting the deck height to allow proper piston position during operation. This would all need to be done on the case side due to said skirted cylinder.

On the plus side, the 395xp does use a 38mm stroke, so it's port timing would be pretty darn close, once you get the deck height correct.

Attachments

• Hyway-Nikasil-cylinder-POP-UP-piston-kit-Caber-for-Husqvarna-395-395XP-56mm-184943464268-6.jpg
    Hyway-Nikasil-cylinder-POP-UP-piston-kit-Caber-for-Husqvarna-395-395XP-56mm-184943464268-6.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 52
Back