Out of the box Predator 212cc 60363 help

CG81

Local time
9:10 AM
So I’m not a small engine guy and know only a little about carbs. That’s my disclaimer. So forgive any ignorance that follows lol.

I purchased a brand new predator 212cc. I think it’s the hemi model. Anyway, I put it on an old monster moto 80 and fired it up. Starts up great. It initially died when I moved the choke to run but after it warmed up it stopped doing that.

Then the real issue started. When I gave it power without a load zero issues. Wheel spin and all. Then I go to sit on it and it tries to move ... just barely but the clutch doesn’t engage and no wheel spin.

I checked air flow, no issues. Tried again, same result. Gave it more throttle, same thing. No torque at all.

So finally I rotated the whole clutch by hand. Normal resistance until a full spin or so and it sticks gets really hard to spin bumps forward a tiny bit then repeats, bumps forward and then it’s free until you get to the same point again. So I pulled the plug, rotates freely without the sticking. Unless... I lightly place my finger over the spark plug hole and when it would normally puff air it sticks, and then, when it’s trying to suck air, the second stick.

So I’ve concluded it’s a compression issue in the cylinder... BUT WHY? lol

Thats where my brain/knowledge fails me. Especially on a brand new engine. Anyone have ideas?

This sounds like you have the sprocket on off center. Have you watched your chain while you spin the wheel with the engine? If it bounces and flops around, it's off center.

What’s your gear ratio?

It might be too high.

Your compression test results might be normal.
12 in front. Not sure about the rear. It’s a huge gear. Probably 42-60. More importantly the chain isn’t on it when I tested the clutch and found it to be sticking.

This sounds like you have the sprocket on off center. Have you watched your chain while you spin the wheel with the engine? If it bounces and flops around, it's off center.
The chain wasn’t on it when I tested the clutch and found it to be sticking.

Also, with the chain on I was able to freely spin the tire.

From what I can tell, the engine shaft isn’t spinning fast ENOUGH to engage the clutch with any sort of load on it. If there’s no load it will spin the tire but still not as fast as I would think.

I could definitely be wrong but I’m leaning towards a compression or internal engine issue preventing the shaft from spinning at higher rpms.

I’ll try to take photos or video if possible tomorrow.

You should know exactly what your sprocket teeth count are, to calculate gear ratio.

A 42t/12t combination = 3.5:1.

WAYYY too high, which is why you're literally not going anywhere.

Back