Overall reliability

kmarcetjr

Local time
10:44 PM
My main questions is could you buy a kit, and assuming that you know what your doing to some extent with the kit and have basic mechanical knowledge, could you do a build, do the after assembly fine tuning, and then ride a motorized bicycle for a year, say 1,000 miles trouble free.

I have pretty good mechanical knowledge, and skills, I have worked in a small engine shop for a little while and have rebuilt car engines. I would probably buy a kit from bikeberry, probably mount in a mountain bike frame, probably buy a 2 stoke kit, the power to weight ratio is better for a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke.

No. You cannot expect a generic HT kit, properly installed, to deliver 1000 miles trouble free. Something will go wrong.

Motorized bikes, as you probably have already assumed by all the posts require more attention than bikes, motorcycles, or cars. If built and maintained properly 1000 miles with only minor problems is not to much to ask for. Tires will probably be the issue as well as cables and fenders if used. A lot will depend on product selections, and riding habits.

Motorized bikes, as you probably have already assumed by all the posts require more attention than bikes, motorcycles, or cars. If built and maintained properly 1000 miles with only minor problems is not to much to ask for. Tires will probably be the issue as well as cables and fenders if used. A lot will depend on product selections, and riding habits.

Yes, I do realize that these motorized bicycles require more "tinkering" than cars, motorcycles and bicycles, which I would expect from a kit bought online combined with a bike from somewhere else, you're talking about combining two separate machines into one machine, but that is how Harley Davidson got their start.

I would like to use a motorized bike as my main means of transportation. I live in a small town in south Florida, it's very flat, and every place I commonly need to to is close, say not more than 5 miles away. My work is about 1.5 miles from home, the grocery store is about the same, the Walmart super center is probably about 3 miles away, my doctors office is maybe 4 miles, anyway you get the idea.

I like the idea of having a cheap means of transportation, that is good on gas, if I got 100 miles to the gallon I could probably ride for a week and a half on a gallon.

been riding mine for about 4 tears now, but only about 1500 miles on it

still check motor & chain to see if adjustment is needed before every ride

Yes, I do realize that these motorized bicycles require more "tinkering" than cars, motorcycles and bicycles, which I would expect from a kit bought online combined with a bike from somewhere else, you're talking about combining two separate machines into one machine, but that is how Harley Davidson got their start.

I would like to use a motorized bike as my main means of transportation. I live in a small town in south Florida, it's very flat, and every place I commonly need to to is close, say not more than 5 miles away. My work is about 1.5 miles from home, the grocery store is about the same, the Walmart super center is probably about 3 miles away, my doctors office is maybe 4 miles, anyway you get the idea.

I like the idea of having a cheap means of transportation, that is good on gas, if I got 100 miles to the gallon I could probably ride for a week and a half on a gallon.
I have been riding them for about 4 and a half years as my only source of trans.. While my town is fairly hilly everything else sounds about the same as where you live. I think you will love it. Before you know it you will be starting the car just to keep the seals wet.

I've been riding my current 4 stroke for about a year now with very few issues, got maybe 5k miles on it so far. I live in mountain foothills so wasn't a hard choice with my setup.

Well thanks for the feedback everyone, I haven't decided yet, but it seems like something to consider seeing how some of you haven't had too many issues with your M.B.'s with regular use. My other option I am considering is a Chinese made 49 cc scooter, their mileage is not as good, maybe 75 mpg, and I think a M.B. is cooler looking, seems to me from what I have read, those cheap knock off scooter have reliability issues too.

If money isn't a big issue and you want something real reliable and well engineered you should check out the motoped. Full suspension with a quality engine and they come in three styles. I think the cruiser looks real good. I have been considering selling off a few of my bikes to get one. Google motoped. It's hard not to like them.

If money isn't a big issue and you want something real reliable and well engineered you should check out the motoped. Full suspension with a quality engine and they come in three styles. I think the cruiser looks real good. I have been considering selling off a few of my bikes to get one. Google motoped. It's hard not to like them.

Well of money is an issue, I checked out motoped, I liked the "adventure" looking model, but after seeing the price on the cruiser I didn't even look any further into that one.
I've got about $1000 to spend on some cheap fuel efficient transportation, which seems to be more than I would need for a motor kit and bike, and just about right for a Chinese scooter, If I'm buying new, of course used scooter can be found on craigslist for less than a new one. But I still think a motorized bike looks cooler, looks more retro, more like an early motorcycle.

Back