P-85 first ride!

Al Regresar

Local time
5:22 AM
It was around 11 pm at night when everything was together. It had only been a month and a half and this was during a move from an apartment to a house. The pedals were back at the apartment. After reading how far people had to go to start these things (50 + feet). I decided to walk a block and a half up a hill on the street.

I had been disappointed trying to start it on a short driveway slope of about 15 feet. I read more advice in the forums and went back through the throttle, clutch and electrical system. I replaced the throttle with a CNC one.

It was the moment of truth. I switched on the front and back lights, put the gas and choke on and started to roll. The first 25 feet the motor didn’t start and just went brrrrrrr (turning over). And I thought, ‘here we go again…just like the driveway and back to the drawing board.’

Suddenly, a burble and I gave it some gas…Braaaaap! Brap! The bike came to life. At barely a third throttle and I was going 20-25 mph. This even felt very sketchy in a t shirt, shorts, and sneakers with no helmet, jacket, or gloves.

For some reason, I guess I really hadn’t thought that the thing would come to life. I hate to say it but at my advanced age that was plenty fast. This thing also took me up hills without breaking a sweat with very little throttle! (6’4”, 250 lb.s).

Wow, mad respect for this motor. It rips! I can see why people were talking about 49 and 66 cc motors. All of the mechanical issues, frustrations, and problem solving had been worth it!

In all humility, I couldn’t have done this without the help, advice, and experience from the administrators and people in these forums. Thank you. I will send pictures tomorrow.

All my best,
Al

I know in other threads/post you had mentioned wanting to do some modifications to this eventually, but as I have said many times to many folks here, you really will find no need to even try to mod out a P-85...These suckers are the fastest and torqueiest little monsters just as they are, right out of the box...Enjoy.

Be very sure that you are running a 20:1 ratio for the first 300 miles, you can only go to 25:1 ratio thereafter...These Phantoms need to run pig rich for proper lubrication and cooling purposes...lol

I know in other threads/post you had mentioned wanting to do some modifications to this eventually, but as I have said many times to many folks here, you really will find no need to even try to mod out a P-85...These suckers are the fastest and torqueiest little monsters just as they are, right out of the box...Enjoy.

Be very sure that you are running a 20:1 ratio for the first 300 miles, you can only go to 25:1 ratio thereafter...These Phantoms need to run pig rich for proper lubrication and cooling purposes...lol
No need for modifications. That would be insane. Just shooting for longevity and plan to get a tach and temp. gauge.

Yeah, my PK80 Wildcat kit (my first, just finished yesterday), did the same. It took several times just rolling over before it started. IDK if that's cuz it had to really get some gas moving or what.

I suspect that's good though, gets a bit of oil down into the case before it starts burning it. Fun hobby isn't it? Enjoy and be safe!

Back