First time starting Phantom 85

I think Chains idea might have merit only because that's what I was thinking too. Air get drawn into a hole in the center of the cover and out through a vertical slot against the cylinder. Granted it would only run at 1/4 speed but still.

1000001805.jpg

I asked for the needle bearing because it isn't included In the top end kit
It shipped out today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_094604_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_094604_Gmail.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 18
Bicycles Engines’ warranty and business policy is a throw back in time.
Ironclad warranties like theirs use to be a common thing.
Now.. not so much. It’s rare.

Even IF.. their products cost a bit more it is worth buying from them.
Outstanding customer service.

Bicycles Engines’ warranty and business policy is a throw back in time.
Ironclad warranties like theirs use to be a common thing.
Now.. not so much. It’s rare.

Even IF.. their products cost a bit more it is worth buying from them.
Outstanding customer service.
I'm worried that the new engine will mess up too

Look over it with a fine toothed comb and be methodical about assembly.

Clean it out super good and make sure everything is oiled up good, I personally use lubriplate.

Baby her good for the first few hundred.
(I said good too many times)
Can you explain further on how to baby her? On my first bike (and last bike) years ago I never babied, full throttle and it was fine.

When I rode my phantom I didn't go over 20
With the other 100cc engine I just put on, I didn't go over 15mph and now the back wheel is seized up.

Can I specifically not go high speeds, or no full throttle, because when I gave enough gas to just keep it rolling it felt soon slow and engine seemed a bit stuttery

Can you explain further on how to baby her? On my first bike (and last bike) years ago I never babied, full throttle and it was fine.

When I rode my phantom I didn't go over 20
With the other 100cc engine I just put on, I didn't go over 15mph and now the back wheel is seized up.

Can I specifically not go high speeds, or no full throttle, because when I gave enough gas to just keep it rolling it felt soon slow and engine seemed a bit stuttery
20:1 for the first 300 or so, don't go past 30mph or so, don't engine-brake (leaving the clutch on while slowing down)
you can goose it time to time, but don't exceed 30.

Keep an eye out for signs of overheating- usually smoking or suddenly high idle.

After that switch to 25:1, don't go WOT for long lengths of time.

You'll get an idea where your engine's "happy place" is, my Avenger is about 32mph.

Most YD/PK engines make 1.5-2.5HP The phantom makes about 5HP, thats a lot of heat and torque for these engines and they will punish you for pushing them too hard.

It helps to have basic mechanical knowledge if you want to make these engines last. That said, they are still hit or miss every time you open the box!

After that switch to 32:1, don't go WOT for long lengths of time.
NO...32:1 on a Phantom 85 is a Phantom killer.

Ratio after breakin is either stay at 20:1, which is what I do or go just a little less oil after the first 300 miles at 25:1 ratio...Never any less oil that that with a P-85 motor.

The phantom makes about 5HP, thats a lot of heat and torque for these engines and they will punish you for pushing them too hard.
And they will punish you even worse if you go 32:1 ratio...They need the heavier oil ratio.

Back