20240309_194247.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240309_200129.jpg
    20240309_200129.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240309_200707.jpg
    20240309_200707.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 27
Yeah, definitely don't use the acorns as the primary means of fastening. As Chainlub said, you can use them like how I use them, as a lock nut/cap. Not really for decorative purposes, but to protect potential ingress of water or anything else that may cause corrosion.

Ok so my question. Can someone please tell me or lead to how to properly break in the phantom 85 v3. I am scared I will jack mine up as I see they are prone to overheating. I actually thought real hard on getting the chopped top kit for it. All opinions welcome. Please and thank you.

Ok so my question. Can someone please tell me or lead to how to properly break in the phantom 85 v3. I am scared I will jack mine up as I see they are prone to overheating. I actually thought real hard on getting the chopped top kit for it. All opinions welcome. Please and thank you.
20:1 mix ratio on the fuel. 310 miles or roughly 6 tanks of fuel. Don't go full throttle and take it easy on the first few heat cycles.

Gotcha. How are the heat cycles ran? Sorry. Don't mean to ask so many questions. I just want to be certain I know exactly what to do
A heat cycle is exactly that - a cycle. Cold - hot - cold. Basically, for the first tank in particular, you want to start off with shorter riding/running periods, but long enough to get the engine up to temp (nice and hot) but then stop and let the engine cool fully - cold enough to touch without pain/burns. Then once cold, check the head bolt torque for sure, but I also suggest a quick check of the intake and exhaust bolts too. Don't try to tighten any fasteners while the engine is still hot as you have a much greater chance of stripping threads.

Some people will do the first couple of heat cycles by just letting the bike idle, but I don't like that method. Just start it, let it warm up for a couple of minutes, and just ride it. Letting an air cooled engine set at idle when brand new can create hot spots on the rings due to a lack of fuel mix and airflow to keep things cool. Those hot spots can change the temper of the metal and cause them to become brittle. Riding means the throttle is open, meaning more fuel and thus oil. That keeps things cool and oily, both good things, and the airflow while the bike moves sheds heat from the cylinder, giving it somewhere to go.

After a few of said heat cycles you can ride it more normally, just avoid lugging the engine or going wide open on the throttle. The Phantom is a hot running engine as it is, and during break in most engines run hotter than normal due to the extra friction from parts like the rings bedding in. It will start running cooler as it breaks in.

Back