Local time
5:10 AM
Will this be a good upgrade for my phantom it’s a yz85 exhaust 2002-2018

Attachments

• IMG_2535.png
    IMG_2535.png
    257.8 KB · Views: 21
You DO realise that the flange to attach a pipe to the exhaust port on a P-85 needs to able to fit a 60mm stud spacing and have a 28mm aperature port to match the cylinder jug exhaust port, Right???

There are no after market pipes that are just a direct bolt on replacements for a Phantom.

You DO realise that the flange to attach a pipe to the exhaust port on a P-85 needs to able to fit a 60mm stud spacing and have a 28mm aperature port to match the cylinder jug exhaust port, Right???

There are no after market pipes that are just a direct bolt on replacements for a Phantom.
Yeah I know that i was gonna have the flange cut on my original phantom exhaust and welded/modify it on this

Yeah I know that i was gonna have the flange cut on my original phantom exhaust and welded/modify it on this
Then also be aware that the clutch on a P-85 is already at the limits of what it can do with the stock exhaust that was actually made for best all out performance possible on a P-85, you may well have to rework the clutch assembly with tighter, heavier poundage springs, etc...One modification begets another with a Phantom.

Why do you think you need to change the exhaust anyways???...The P-85 is more than powerful enough right out of the box, you can't just be riding WOT all the time with one of these things...They will not last if you do so.

There are a few guys with various pipes on the Phantoms in the Facebook group. Not sure if any have used the nasty jack, but at least 2 with modded MZ65's, a couple of 85cc KTM pipes, etc. One common theme with all of them is slipping the clutch. Stock they are right at the limit of what the standard clutch design can handle.
Most folks are never gonna be convinced of this unless or until they get to actually try a Phantom out and then they will finally know why you and I are both of the same mind that they do NOT need any modifications for more torque power or to make them go faster.

They will never be able to use all the power they have in a P-85 right out of the box as it is.
Throw an mz65 on any other 2nstroke, yd100, 80cc, firestorm 80, etc and they get a little power boost but work without issue. The Phantom makes a metric ton more torque and probably double the horsepower of those engines out of the box.

Even if you went to town on any standard motor it would barely touch a Phantoms out of the box power, or at best, match it.

Below URL link is an example of one guy and all the expensive mods he had to make to get even more out of it along with the end results...Look at the pic as well at what he did to modify the clutch just to make it usable to do what you seem to want to do...It is not worth it.

Sure, it would work alright. Trick is getting the primary head pipe length right.

As mentioned above, the real problem is the chain of weaknesses that follow. Clutch will slip, engine will run even hotter, bearings can only take so much power and rpm, etc.

It's scary going fater than 25mph on a bike.
When you find out just how nice and stable that Hyper beach cruiser is vs your Cranbrook, I just know you will be running at 30 and 35 MPH cruising speeds all the time...The Hyper feels much better at those speeds than the Cranbrook could ever hope for, I have had both and was astounded by just how different they both felt at speed.

When you find out just how nice and stable that Hyper beach cruiser is vs your Cranbrook, I just know you will be running at 30 and 35 MPH cruising speeds all the time...The Hyper feels much better at those speeds than the Cranbrook could ever hope for, I have had both and was astounded by just how different they both felt at speed.
I can't wait to. I have been busy and had alot of stress from school lately, so I've taken a break from the bike for a bit and been trying to relax when I can. I will work on it more when it gets warmer out, and likely order the parts I need after I get my tax return.

Back