People Ask -- Is That A Motor ?

I get a lot of positive comments and people are interested. They ask me often how they can get one, or at least learn a bit about them, and I refer them here. But so far none of them have followed through. It's puzzling. But it's only been about 4 months since I motorized (though I've been well-known in the community for many years now as a bicyclist). Maybe it just takes time. Perhaps it takes a while for people to decide to take the plunge. It took me a while.

The rude guy in the SUV reminds me of my oldest and dearest friend, now deceased. He was a lot like that. Yet this guy was certainly not bad-hearted. He was cheerful, very eager to laugh, worked hard and played hard. Generous to a fault. And he had the means to be generous; inherited a business and also grew it through hard work and smart management. I introduced him to a few people who then went on to have thirty year friendships with him themselves. Yet behind the wheel this guy was the biggest jerk (stronger words come to mind, but I'll keep it clean) that you've ever seen. I tried to tell him to "relax..take your time..cool it", but he wouldn't listen. Since we were friends, we managed to avoid fighting about it. But he didn't seem to be capable of even considering my advice. I had always worried that he'd die in a car wreck or a road rage incident.

I'm not even sure where I'm going with this. But once again; this was not a bad man by any means. There's just something about being behind the wheel that drives some people crazy. We'd be wise, as a society, to recognize this and try to figure out some way of dealing with it. People like that do sometimes kill pedestrians, bicyclists, other drivers, even children playing in their yards.

Dweeby Safety flags...

Hey Large,

I saw a new item a few years ago where they had riders cut those orange fiberglass flags down to ... I dunno, 2 1/2 feet in length, and then mount them to the back of a rear carrier/rat trap horizontally -- so the flag stuck out to the left of the bike.

(Have I described that clearly?)

They claimed traffic gave bikes a wider berth.

I can't decide if it's dweebier to mount the flag in the standard vertical position, or horizontally, but if it's safer....

FWIW

Brenton

Great idea! How about mounting them with those old style curb feelers that are connected to a very loud horn. lol

Yes - on almost every day that we ride our MBs - we hear that question asked. Is that a motor ?

Yes and here's your sign. - Bill Engvall

MBs a conversation piece - to say the least - met any cool people ?

I'm running electric so its hard to notice. More than a few motorist have noticed when I beat them across the intersection! Have talked to a few Cyclist, commuter types. Most of them can't believe they spent more than I did and they have no motor. :rolleyes: All have been cool.

When people ask for more information - where do we send them ?

I send them here to get info, where else? ;)

bike with motor is what it's about !!

I get a lot of positive comments and people are interested.

They ask me often how they can get one
and I refer them here
But so far none of them have followed through.
It's puzzling.

but no doubt the word is getting out
riding bike with motor is what it's all about !!

ride that thing

Bystander reaction

Is good, people always wave and ask about my bike, It's interesting becuse the people most interested are the young and the old.
not too many middle age people even notice.
But the elderly folks really dig the bike, you would think they wouldn't becuse of the noise. I guess they can remember the old days when people used whatever they could get for transportation.
and they relieze that it's kinda creative and original these days.
and they just look way cooler than the ugly cars these days!!!!!!
:cool:

not real sure about that ?

To be correct, actually if it uses gas or diesel it's an engine. Motor is for electric. :rolleyes:

from the Franklin Spelling Ace

motor =
to operate a car
drive
tool
a mechanical power unit
engine
kinds of engines
outboard motor
power plant
stem engine
thruster
turbine

we like to ride those things

yeah. drives me crazy.

"hey, is that one of them bikes with a motor on it?" yes. yes it is.

the other normal questions we get (MPG, displacement, top speed, etc) are a-ok with me.
but, to ask if this is a bike with a motor on it......c'mon.

"hey, is that one of them bikes with a motor on it?" yes. yes it is.

the other normal questions we get (MPG, displacement, top speed, etc) are a-ok with me.
but, to ask if this is a bike with a motor on it......c'mon.

YES!!!!! Spunout speaks the truth!!!

An intelligent person would observe, comprehend, and conclude that it's a motorized bicycle just by looking at it, then ask some detailed and educated questions about it.

However, the dummy impulsively blurts out the first question that came to mind! hahaha "Is that a there weedwacker on yer bike?"

......And all the dummies that look at my engine, have called my trailer everything it's not. LOL! It's been called a Pressure Washer, Air Compressor, Weedwacker, Lawnmower, Generator, and I just want to say...EVER SAW A GASOLINE ENGINE BEFORE??? LOL

Last edited:
???????

Iv only had my bike for a week or two,BUT every time i go to get out on it some ones asks,is it a REAL engine?do you have to tax it?whats it do to the gallon?and of corse HOW FAST IS IT??were can i get one,
its the best thing iv bought for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back