Phantom 85

Is there a 2 piece cylinder jug that would bolt onto the phantom 85 so I can add my high compression cylinder head
No.

Rumors of the gen 3 being 2 piece are flowing around, but the phantom is based on a stihl saw, which are 1 piece designs.

There are people who have milled off the phantom tops to use other heads, but the only advantage you get from that would be better head cooling from more surface area.

No need to buy a Phantom if you want to do that, kinda defeats the purpose.
Good point. I didn't even consider they maybe wanted to convert the phantom to something else. It's a yd100 bottom end. I guess technically one could go the LD100 route, but those cylinders are disappointing to say the least.

Good point. I didn't even consider they maybe wanted to convert the phantom to something else. It's a yd100 bottom end. I guess technically one could go the LD100 route, but those cylinders are disappointing to say the least.
I've never looked into one those YD/LD engines, are they the same bottom as an 80? From what I hear another cylinder and head isn't going to do much.

I've never looked into one those YD/LD engines, are they the same bottom as an 80? From what I hear another cylinder and head isn't going to do much.
No the yd100 bottom end is slightly different to the standard 50cc/66cc bottom end. Wider stud spacing, two wide crank seals being the most noteworthy things. It's the same bottom end the Phantom uses, but typically with a 10mm wrist pin bearing.

The YD100 isn't even the worst design ever. It's got decent cooling fin area and the port mapping isn't the worst ever. Most people simply don't like the 1 piece jug. The LD100 was supposed to fix that, but they then make the surface around the ports so thin on the intake and exhaust that they are almost impossible to get sealed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RZ42FT...ture-rscomp-feature-rscomp&ref=aa_rscomp&th=1 Looks like the Phantom 85's are back in stock. Someone try one and let us know how long it last!
About 9 months of beating the absolute s**t out of it... I had the phantom 85 V2 for 9 months, before it ate the piston ring and then piston. 9 months of beating the absolute s**t out of it is pretty good for any of these motors. With a 36 tooth I've had it over 50mph numerous times.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Running 100% stock still at 20:1 I'm maxing out at about 40mph. WOT... downhill... head down... 40.1mph @ 7840 RPM... 10 seconds and RPMS fluctuating at this point.... nothing more... I think that's all she's got.

NOW ... I am 6'4" ... 280lbs. Not a small guy by any stretch ... so that's about all I was expecting.

I figure I might get a little more out of her if I ran 25:1 ... maybe adjusted the jet on the carb... but it's not 4-stroking or anything... it's just maxing out... so that just might be all she's got. I assume if that little girl can pull my fat ass down the road at 40mph, she'd be able to pull someone 100 lbs lighter at 50...

I am experiencing one small thing that is a little annoying with this motor.

When cold ... all the way through warming up ... she actually runs quite nice ... but won't maintain idle. I have to keep hitting the gas... or just hold the gas and ride. However, when warmed up to "hot", the idle is actually HIGH ... and I get these longer "rooom rooom rooom" sounds when I let off the gas and the idle is high but dropping for a frew seconds then it will slowly drop to idle and will hold idle when hot. I suspect an air leak somewhere... would this be a correct assumption? It only happens when hot.

Everything else about it is as normal. Plenty of torque... plenty of speed... runs smooooth as butter. I STILL don't 4-stroke... like... hardly ever.... hell... I am hard pressed to think of a SINGLE TIME I HAVE 4-STROKED and I said to myself "I'm 4-stroking!" ... EVER. Is that normal?!?!

Why am I complaining?

When cold ... all the way through warming up ... she actually runs quite nice ... but won't maintain idle. I have to keep hitting the gas... or just hold the gas and ride. However, when warmed up to "hot", the idle is actually HIGH ... and I get these longer "rooom rooom rooom" sounds when I let off the gas and the idle is high but dropping for a frew seconds then it will slowly drop to idle and will hold idle when hot. I suspect an air leak somewhere... would this be a correct assumption?
That sound you're talking about means that it's running lean. A high idle could also indicate it's running lean. I've found out that if I have to crank my idle screw up a lot it's rich, and if I can set the idle screw low it's lean. Also the lack of four stroking means, yep it's probably lean. What does your plug look like? And your temps?

Back