Phantom 85

It's the safest engine to get if you want top of the line performance out of an engine that uses the same lower end case as all the other engine kits.

There are a couple contenders, such as the Avenger, but those have no warranty and it's overall reliability is in question- I'm currently running an Avenger 85, little over a half gallon.

A 2 piece top end is of no real benefit after it is dialed in.

Again if I was to buy another engine, it would be a phantom.

It's the safest engine to get if you want top of the line performance out of an engine that uses the same lower end case as all the other engine kits.

There are a couple contenders, such as the Avenger, but those have no warranty and it's overall reliability is in question- I'm currently running an Avenger 85, little over a half gallon.

A 2 piece top end is of no real benefit after it is dialed in.

Again if I was to buy another engine, it would be a phantom.
When I built my first bike, the phantom was my second choice to the bt80 electric start. I felt it would be easier to wire lights, but I now know I should have went with the phantom, but now I am building the bike I should have a year ago.

Before you bolt the Cylinder on ..flush the bottom end with a little gas and 2 cycle oil to rid any metal shavings, get an Ngk spark plug im not sure the exact one, it will be easier to start then, For break in Start out with a 20:1 Oil/Gas ratio. And be sure to Blue loctite all fasteners. Im sure some others will have more advice soon.

Awesome. I would like to be able to have everything I need on hand when the kit gets here. As impatient as I am I don't want to be in the middle of assembly aand not have something or take shortcuts Because I'm too anxious to want to ride

And be sure to Blue loctite all fasteners. Im sure some others will have more advice soon.
The one thing I don't blue locktite are the four cylinder hold down nuts or the long studs that need to be retorqued every heat cycle for at least the first 200 miles...the locktite will give you a false torque reading when retorquing.

Aah ok. I made that mistake on my first build of not doing as much reading as I should of. Everything that could go wrong basically did. The first 2-3 weeks I had tore apart and rebuilt the engine more times then I had minutes riding lol.

Aah ok. I made the mistake on my first build of not doing as much reading as I should of. Everything that could go wrong basically did. The first 2-3 weeks I had tore apart and rebuilt the engine more times then I had minutes riding lol.
You also should take some 2 stroke oil and swab the inside of the cylinder and piston rings when putting it all together...That way you do not have a dry start when you first turn it over to start it up for the first time, plus everything just slides together much easier for you.

You also need to pull the side covers...Make sure the magneto is all centered for it to rotate in between the magnets on both sides, you want that as even on both sides as possible.

You also want to be sure to have some white lithium grease so you can check the bucking bar and put just a dab of grease on both sides to lube it as it is touching a ball bearing on one side, and the clutch actuating arm is pushing the bar in and out so a dab of the outside tip of the bucking bar is necessary as well.

You also want to be sure there is just a dab of grease in between the bevel gear and the clutch pads gear as well..."Just a little dab will do ya" as the old Brylcreem commercial used to say, as it turns, the dab will work its way around the gears without soaking the clutch pads as long as it is just a dab...lol.

You will also want to throw away the red clay like clutch pads away because they burn out and turn black within three days since they slip waaay too easily with the poser of the P-85...You want these clutch pads instead.

https://www.amazon.com/KQTshangmao-...C/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=80cc+clutch+pads&sr=8-9

And this is my little tutorial on proper clutch adjustment instructions to follow when setting your clutch up for perfect adjustment, the first time right out of the chute...lol...Be sure to follow it step by step, exactly as written.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Question for u guys. Anyone have a recommendation for a bicycle to mount the phantom to when I grt it? I have looked around but I don't want to pay $500 for a bike. Even a used one. If anyone has one to sell please let me know

Back