Pop goes the weasel

73bennie

Local time
1:33 AM
So, I bought a 4-stroke motor from bberry last year and its been running great. But the last week or so it has become increasingly difficult to pull start. Used to start right up, maybe 2-3 pulls at most. Then it became, like, 20 pulls.

A little carb cleaner helped, and then I noticed the idle screw was vibrating itself back out. Threw on some teflon tape and that seemed to do the trick.

Today I was cleaning the bike and had taken the air filter off to clean and I took it around the block a couple times without the filter on to see if maybe the air filter was choking it up or something. During that ride, going wide open, on two seperate instances when I let off the throttle completely there were two pops, kinda like the sound of a backfire. So, I walked it back, put the filter back on, and went riding again. No problems, a mile or so into town, got some groceries, came home. No problems.

About a half hour ago I took the bike back out for a short run. Running fine, then I hit a bump, and at that very moment, I heard One loud Pop, and the bike died instantly.

Not only would it not start again, but pulling the rope and trying to get it to turn over sounded very different than usual, kinda "weak". And on a couple pulls, the rope kinda bound up or locked up, flying out of my hand. So, I can pull it, it just sounds different and won't turn over now.

It's dark so I'll look at it tomorrow, but looking for input/insight before I get into it. Thanks in advance

It's a little harder when you're on the phone.
Just another reason I turned my so-called smart phone into a stupid phone that can only make and take phone calls...lol.

Using a computer with a real keyboard is much better and easier for using forums than a phone could ever be, plus with a "real" computer, you have a real screen of good size to actually see things with...lol.

"Chipping off". Good point. At the Very Least I guess I need a new cover and a new gasket, yeah? Anybody with a line on where to pick those up? I've been looking but yet to find....
If your new cover doesn't come with a gasket get some gasket material from the local auto parts store.

What I find interesting here is how the rocker shaft poked the hole through the cover without really pushing it out. It must have just been grinding away at it for some time and drilled through. If that's the case the shaft must have been somewhat seized on the rockers and needed more lubrication? I would think about putting a locking collar or two in the center to keep it from slipping sideways.

Back