Pop goes the weasel

73bennie

Local time
2:32 AM
So, I bought a 4-stroke motor from bberry last year and its been running great. But the last week or so it has become increasingly difficult to pull start. Used to start right up, maybe 2-3 pulls at most. Then it became, like, 20 pulls.

A little carb cleaner helped, and then I noticed the idle screw was vibrating itself back out. Threw on some teflon tape and that seemed to do the trick.

Today I was cleaning the bike and had taken the air filter off to clean and I took it around the block a couple times without the filter on to see if maybe the air filter was choking it up or something. During that ride, going wide open, on two seperate instances when I let off the throttle completely there were two pops, kinda like the sound of a backfire. So, I walked it back, put the filter back on, and went riding again. No problems, a mile or so into town, got some groceries, came home. No problems.

About a half hour ago I took the bike back out for a short run. Running fine, then I hit a bump, and at that very moment, I heard One loud Pop, and the bike died instantly.

Not only would it not start again, but pulling the rope and trying to get it to turn over sounded very different than usual, kinda "weak". And on a couple pulls, the rope kinda bound up or locked up, flying out of my hand. So, I can pull it, it just sounds different and won't turn over now.

It's dark so I'll look at it tomorrow, but looking for input/insight before I get into it. Thanks in advance

You are going to need a valve cover or have yours fixed/

Put a piece of muffler tape over it for diagnostics, but get a new one for sure.
I'm not sure where to get a new cover, so in the meantime I put some JB weld on it and letting that cure. What are the chances of that holding up?

I would be afraid of it chipping off & going thru the engine. The tape thing would be better. Even gorilla tape for testing purposes.

Look up 49cc 4 stroke valve adjustment on youtube by Ethans Garage. For a younger guy he does a pretty good job of explaining how to set valve lash.

I would be afraid of it chipping off & going thru the engine. The tape thing would be better. Even gorilla tape for testing purposes.

Look up 49cc 4 stroke valve adjustment on youtube by Ethans Garage. For a younger guy he does a pretty good job of explaining how to set valve lash.
I would do both. The tape to prevent it from taking in the JB weld and the JB weld for structure

"Chipping off". Good point. At the Very Least I guess I need a new cover and a new gasket, yeah? Anybody with a line on where to pick those up? I've been looking but yet to find....

"Chipping off". Good point. At the Very Least I guess I need a new cover and a new gasket, yeah? Anybody with a line on where to pick those up? I've been looking but yet to find....
Here on the bay
Screenshot_20231103-213426_Chrome.jpg

Here on the bay
I Still haven't been able to teach you how to post an actual URL link Diesel...lol...If your already there to go through the trouble of creating a screenshot pic, why not just copy and paste the the URL from the address bar instead???...Quicker, easier, and more informative without extra hunting around for the OP...lol.

I Still haven't been able to teach you how to post an actual URL link Diesel...lol...If your already there to go through the trouble of creating a screenshot pic, why not just copy and paste the the URL from the address bar instead???...Quicker, easier, and more informative without extra hunting around for the OP...lol.
It's a little harder when you're on the phone.

Back