Possibly a cvt on a motorized bike

i hate cvts garbage if you ask me or anyone who has a cvt based nissan
CVT's can be amazing. Ask anybody with a scooter how great a cvt can be. The trick is not putting a lot of power behind them and weight to move around, which is why CVT's in cars are crap and why most auto manufacturers went for more gears. Nissan is just hell bent on trying to make their 80k mile transmission stick, and ruining their reputation even more because of it. I love my Versa, but I love it because it's a manual.

I tried a CVT with a Subaru 035 and it was not successful. The CVT sucked up so much
power, maybe 15%, it slowed the bike. And the CVT turns the drive in the opposite
direction so I had to mount it on the right side. Too complicated, no real performance
improvement. It might work on a larger engine.

I tried a CVT with a Subaru 035 and it was not successful. The CVT sucked up so much
power, maybe 15%, it slowed the bike. And the CVT turns the drive in the opposite
direction so I had to mount it on the right side. Too complicated, no real performance
improvement. It might work on a larger engine.
Cvts have a purpose, they work great on some things and not on others.

CVT's also need to be adjusted to the application. A common complaint with a lot of the gy6 clone Chinese scooters is because the cvt variator weights and clutch are often set very soft, so they are sluggish off the line and wear belts out fast. The number 1 upgrade on them is different weights and springs.

CVT rear hub bicycle. From the pics I can't see how it works like a scooter CVT. Any thoughts?

INFINITE GEAR RANGE
NO PREDEFINED GEARS

onyx_cvt-detail.jpg

CVT rear hub bicycle. From the pics I can't see how it works like a scooter CVT. Interesting, must be internal to the rear hub. Any thoughts?

INFINITE GEAR RANGE
380% GEAR RANGE

NO PREDEFINED GEARS
It is the rear hub.

CVT's also need to be adjusted to the application. A common complaint with a lot of the gy6 clone Chinese scooters is because the cvt variator weights and clutch are often set very soft, so they are sluggish off the line and wear belts out fast. The number 1 upgrade on them is different weights and springs.
Playing around with the scooter variator roller/weights and swapping a heavier contra spring does improve the off the line punch.
Good bang for the buck. The 50 cc scooters also usually have a restrictor of some sort in the variator boss (or the cdi) to keep the speed under 30.
I love the cvt on my 150 scooter. Replaced the original belt at about 6000 miles and it had only minimal wear.

How does it work? Doesn't look like it has the variable plates.

Back