Problem with woodruff key HELP!!!!

It looks good to me too. One word of caution though, be absolutely sure that none of that dried up red loc-tite gets in between the shaft and gear. If it were to do so, the taper of the gear and the taper of the shaft will never be able to seat together properly. This will cause the gear to run wobbly, accelerating wear between the two gears and also quite possibly lead to the mounting screw coming loose in the future.
Upon final assembly, very light film of oil is the only thing I would allow to get between the two parts, and this is only because of the poor quality control that these Chinese parts get manufactured to. I cannot trust that the poorly finished tapers can actually mate to each other without a little slipperyness involved. Taper locked parts actually should always be assembled absolutely dry. No oil, grease, ect.

Thank you for your help i really do appreciate it. I will let you know of any updates.

I noticed when i put the screw in that as i tightened it it actually felt like i was drawing that screw on over the woodruff key unlike all the other times i have tried it. Here are 2 pictures and i know they are not good ones but maybe you can comment on them. I just hope i am on the right track here. Thanks for lookin.

OK, been a long time since I worked on a happy time, but from your second picture, is it possible you are installing your gear backwards? ie. with the small side of the taper in? I don't remember what the other side of the gear looks like, but ummm, I did that once. Took me half a day to figure it out. Actually, my gf's son at the time figured it out......he was 12....:geek:

Back