Problems with motorized bike. (Please help!)

MJ16640

Local time
7:13 PM
I just received my 80cc motorized bike kit in the mail. I finished assembling it last week. There are two concerns I have. The first one, when I was mixing the fuel, I poured 4oz of oil into the gas tank on the bike, I didn't notice that the petcock (fuel valve) was open and continued to pour the gas. Some oil went down into the carburetor, is this OK?

Concern number 2: I verified that I have done all of the wiring correctly, and there is no spark on the spark plug. I checked the magneto, all was well in there. Then I replaced the spark plug, no luck. At this point I have ordered a new CDI (capacitor discharged ignition) in hopes that the thing will get spark. Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

If anyone needs, I do have pics of the bike.

If you have the standard tank then the oil issue should be fine as long as you empty the carb out since that much oil will probably prevent a startup anyway, and to add to it you'll be waiting on that cdi so may as well drain it to keep the pipes clear of oil that may just gum up from sitting.

When the CDI comes just swap it and give it a go. Make sure nothing us shorting to the frame.

When you checked the magneto what did you do to make certain it was good? If it's not grounded well enough to the engine it won't work. If there's paint on the head you might just be lacking ground connection to the bottom end.

If you don't hold the spark plug base metal/threads to the engine when turning it over you'll get no spark, if you hold it to the bottom end and get a spark but not on the head then that would indicate bad ground at the head.

Spark issues arise from several places, even when the wires are perfect and parts are in good working order you can still have problems that you wouldn't expect. It's a normal thing on these motors. Still without any spark at all and a good magneto then likely to be the CDI. Good luck!

I went back out there and checked for spark 1 more time. This time I saw a little spark if I looked VERY closely. A little tiny yellow spark. I tried starting it for like a minute or so, nothing. I looked at the resistance of the CDI and it reads 7 instead of 2. So, I really think its the CDI. Also, the carb should be fine, when I push the primer down gas goes to the engine, and it flows out too. I think the oil problem is no big deal but tell me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I went back out there and checked for spark 1 more time. This time I saw a little spark if I looked VERY closely. A little tiny yellow spark. I tried starting it for like a minute or so, nothing. I looked at the resistance of the CDI and it reads 2 instead of 7. So, I really think its the CDI. Also, the carb should be fine, when I push the primer down gas goes to the engine, and it flows out too. I think the oil problem is no big deal but tell me if I am wrong.
Flows out the engine? That is a ton of fuel in the crankcase since the fuel must go into the case to be able to get back out the exhaust in most any case.

I would look at the float level carefully, it might be a little high. Clear the motor out of fuel and clean the plug if that's so.

By flowing I meant that while I am trying to start it unused gas comes out of the exhaust later.
Also when I prime the engine gas goes in easy.

Sloppy soldering on the magneto? You are probably correct getting a new cdi seeing the cdi has such a low resistance.
I looked at the magneto, Ill send pics if you want. It looks fine, looks pretty solid. No shorts visible to the eye. Ground looks alright.

I'm also sure you've tested all wires to ensure no short in those as well? I would play with my multimeter every chance I got too :D.

Back