Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by raulin, Aug 9, 2008.

  1. raulin

    raulin New Member

    Hello. I'm in Granite Bay, Calif, U.S.A. I've just recently started researching motorized bikes for myself. I am not driving at the moment for medical reasons and this would be a great way to get around. My target is to buy a cruiser like a Schwinn with a 48cc engine already installed. I've decided that I don't want to put my first motorized bike together myself. I think that I could do it but I'd rather look first at one that's already assembled. The research that I did dept. of Motor Vehicles application that I picked-up from their site seems to indicate that they want motorized bikes licensed but they have some restrictions. Now there's a surprise. Governmental intrusion in California? Say it's not so!

    Take care all. I am enjoying the posts...

  2. NunyaBidness

    NunyaBidness Member

    hey Raulin, welcome aboard
    there is a ton of info here, and helpful people as well
    good luck and happy motoring
  3. raulin

    raulin New Member

    Thank you for the welcome Nunya. I'm sifting thru it as we speak.
  4. mark2yahu

    mark2yahu Member

    Howdy. Restrictions? Just the under 50cc, under 30mph rule, and I got my registration pretty quick. Ready-built, I don't know of anyone in California, but I know somebody in Kansas who does build and sell.
  5. raulin

    raulin New Member

    Hi Mark. Thank you for the response. One other thing that I found that DMV wants is nothing greater than a 2 brake horsepower rating. When I looked up the term "horsepower" on Wikipedia apparently it's an obsolete term and has been convoluted over time. But anyway I have purchased a bike from greenearthchoppers.com in Arizona fully assembled with a new bike (Schwinn Windwood) and a 48cc Gen II engine. Do you happen to know if the 48cc engine comes with a horsepower spec?
    Happy motoring...
  6. mark2yahu

    mark2yahu Member

    Hello Raulin; I'm sure they will have the specs on the horsepower available if you contact them. It might indicate on the literature. Not quite sure myself. But I do know that a 33.5cc 4-stroke (Subaru) puts out 1.6 hp, and a 25cc 4-stroke (Subaru) puts out 1.1 hp. I hope you register your MB...it's a one-time fee of $18.00, and it puts you on the side of the law. Have fun and stay safe :)