Engine Trouble Recently Rebuilt engine won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
f***in water head! :D I love ya Frank, ya goober!!!!! :D

hmmm....ole scotland......we should metel detect for gold

It's not so much cracked as it is forced out of shape. I believe they call that warped speed, Scottish Guy.
actually i need some input from you. I'll post pics later within the thread about the colombia klunker (which has lasted me for over a year and still solid)

OOPS!!!... lol didn't mean to hijack the thread :rolleyes:

Do you just happen to check the head torque off at the end with a torque wrench just out of habit after hitting the seal or do you just check that from the beginning?

last steps before sending it out is compression and spark plug read to be sure it isn't weak or too lean

that's the diff between working at a shop and selling/advising over inet - when I personally hand it back to them, it better be right

last steps before sending it out is compression and spark plug read to be sure it isn't weak or too lean

that's the diff between working at a shop and selling/advising over inet - when I personally hand it back to them, it better be right
So what are you saying? The OP should shoot themselves? :p

No , I have not gotten around to getting a torque wrench, but I am not worried too much about a warped head because I do tighten it in the right order, and I do tighten each bolt progressively, not all at once. I know that isn't as exact as a torque wrench but It's as good as I can do without one.
When I assemble the engine with the new crankshaft I shall check for a head leak and report back to you. This is a friends engine so I can't experiment on it, but maybe I'll try running my own engine with/without seals one day to see what happens.

No , I have not gotten around to getting a torque wrench, but I am not worried too much about a warped head because I do tighten it in the right order, and I do tighten each bolt progressively, not all at once. I know that isn't as exact as a torque wrench but It's as good as I can do without one.
When I assemble the engine with the new crankshaft I shall check for a head leak and report back to you. This is a friends engine so I can't experiment on it, but maybe I'll try running my own engine with/without seals one day to see what happens.
Please get a torque wrench, you'll be a savior to any of your friends who own one of these.

I didn't ask you if you were worried, I've been less worried about problems that ended up backfiring on me just because I decided not to worry about it. I doubt you are immune to this form of self harm.

You can experiment with his bike, it's currently non-functional, if you are taking it apart anyway (because you may have messed up the crankshaft by sanding it, which is something you didn't worry about when you were assembling somebody else's motor at one point in time) you can hold off on the last seal, without the magneto installed it won't try to run anyway.

Or don't, it's not even an experiment just a verification of data, but I almost doubt that a hair smaller shaft would lead to the kind of leak crassius sees with a popped seal, so it's a toss-up, for you I'm just leaning on a crapped head, mind you that you only used it a bit (assumingly) while it was in a running state and then handed it to him, he may have abused it or might not even know what 'running good' actually is for these motors, after all he's having you work on it even though you seem to be of a somewhat beginner to these motors in terms of troubleshooting, why else would you really need to ask us anything otherwise.

Anyway good luck, let us know what is going on while it comes together, all data is useful to anyone who comes by later looking for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back