registering motorized bike in springfield MA epic fail

Have you had any luck in registering your MB in western MA

• Total voters
Chainmaker we've got the same procedure here in Tennessee. I hope that Oldpot will be able to do the same thing in Michigan. I want everybody to be able to ride and don't like seeing my fellow riders having legal issues.

A moped and a low-speed vehicle shall have permanently affixed to their frame a manufacturer's identification number.
simply put Michigan doesn't want motorized bicycles on their public roadways.

jerry so a bikes serial number does not count?? i have a look at what chainmaker put ty

The laws differ greatly from state to state. I hope something is available for you. Some states use a moped manufacturer's list that gets updated every 90 days or so.

I posted all the forms you need to license a bicycle in Michigan. In dealing with the DMV here in California I have found that providing other papers or opening your mouth too much can cause you a world of problems. When I went with my son to get his motorcycle license the problem we had was he kept presenting his copy of the proof of motorcycle course completion. They keep saying they couldn't accept this and he needed to either produce the original or request another one from the school. We told them that he turned the original into DMV and that is why he has his Learners Permit. It was a requirement to obtain it. The fact he has one is proof that he turned it in and is on file. No go. So we went to a different DMV and this time they told us we needed to return to the original DMV or filing as their office probably wouldn't have it on file and it would be a wasted trip. I told the lady we were willing to take the risk and we got a number. While waiting there I realized all our problems stemmed from him presenting this copy of his completion. I told him to rip it off the other papers and put it in his pocket. When we got to the counter we simply told the lady he did complete the course. She looked it up and everything went smoothly and he had his license. Moral of the story is stick to the plan, don't offer any addition information or papers. It this instance quit calling a motorized bicycle a moped as they are two different things with completely two different requirement to register. Fill out the forms, take them in and never talk about mopeds or your past experience trying to register it and just get the job done.

Many states see motorized bicycles/mopeds as the same thing. Some states do define them as different. Regardless you must build within their guidelines or its considered an off road vehicle.

This is true only give whatever information is being asked for and nothing more. However its best to have your build within the required guidelines.

Here is what I do, and it works every time. If you are registering your bike for the first time. Do not check the new box, check the used box, and create a bill of sale. They will visually check the info and give you a registration. If you check off the new box, they will want to see a certificate of registration.

Currently I have 2 registered motorized bicycles and 1 Whizzer registered as a moped.

Looking on websites I couldn't find any statutes pertaining to a moped manufacturer's list. Such as states like Texas has. Texas even states the list is updated every 90 days. There's a tread about a rider in eastern Massachusetts that registered his bike. Rayn H said he got his in Plymouth. So a different DMV may be your only hope.
I need to read Rayn H's thread. Can you share a link?

Pirate Cycle Recommended bringing paperwork [ Receipt for bicycle, receipt for motor kit ] For make * Brand of Bicycle for model 50cc Grubee As for automatic transmission = Centrifugal clutch The RMV was more interested in collecting the $ 50 fee than anything and I was promptly handed a sticker [ Worcester MA RMV ]
My registration expired, so I chose not to re-new it. FWIW = The Cops are cracking down on unregistered Dirt Bikes . Make sure your bike has mirrors ! Wear your Cop Repellent [ Helmet ] Leave the shower cap at home, they only work at night . Dirt Bike jerks are making themselves High Profile by their disregard for STOP Signs, moving traffic, [ they like to sneak up on cars and wheelie as they pass you on the right, ] while carrying their mentally challenged friends on the back Helmets are rare, absent on passengers. Reminds me of the ' Pit Bike ' crackdown some years back. Above and beyond the reckless riding, those bikes sit so low you can't see them . Now that Pit Bikes are history, if the Cops saw one, it ended up in their trunk. Cops around here wiped out the scooter population [ not a moped, no pedals ] by requiring a tow truck to remove the bike after stopping the rider. Want your Scooter back ? $ 250 tow and impound fee, plus a truck to take it home from the impound yard.

Back