registering motorized bike in springfield MA epic fail

Have you had any luck in registering your MB in western MA

• Total voters
Massachusetts Moped meets RMV / DOT

I was told to have, proof you bought bike, an 11 digit VIN # add zeros if your numbers don't have enough digits
You are required to sign a document stating the bike is under 50cc, has a centrifrugual clutch, and can't exceed 30 mph.

I did it twice, at the Worcester MA registry [ main and madison st ] The clerk had no trouble handing me forms, and greatfully accepted my check. Took about 20 minutes each time.

I was told to have, proof you bought bike, an 11 digit VIN # add zeros if your numbers don't have enough digits
You are required to sign a document stating the bike is under 50cc, has a centrifrugual clutch, and can't exceed 30 mph.

I did it twice, at the Worcester MA registry [ main and madison st ] The clerk had no trouble handing me forms, and greatfully accepted my check. Took about 20 minutes each time.

This sounds like the kind of help our friend needs.

Last edited:
i am in the same boat here in mi ,(check my post in here) went to 2 sos offices was told its not a moped and cannot register it phoned and emailed main office in Lansing mi , they said the same , i kept all my papers etc and times of phone calls and emails and if anything happens i will show them that .

If you have built within the parameters of what your state defines as a motorized bicycle/moped and had a problem you have a arguable case. If you didn't build within those guidelines, the law sees it as an off road vehicle.

If you have built within the parameters of what your state defines as a motorized bicycle/moped and had a problem you have a arguable case. If you didn't build within those guidelines, the law sees it as an off road vehicle.
well mine has , front headlights,mirror,turn signals, back light and brake light ,just like a moped but still cannot register it so i gave up and if (hope not) get pulled over and get ticket i will ague the case ,i got everything wrote down when and were i went and who i phoned up etc,etc

well mine has , front headlights,mirror,turn signals, back light and brake light ,just like a moped but still cannot register it so i gave up and if (hope not) get pulled over and get ticket i will ague the case ,i got everything wrote down when and were i went and who i phoned up etc,etc

Do you have a cc limit and/or automatic transmission requirement? Did you meet these requirements? Is your cc size too large? Do you use a manual clutch? Anything outside your state requirements can get you turned down. If you've met all requirements then you have an arguable case.

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT) Act 300 of 1949

257.32b “Moped” defined.

Sec. 32b.

"Moped" means a 2- or 3-wheeled vehicle to which both of the following apply:

(a) It is equipped with a motor that does not exceed 100 cubic centimeters piston displacement and cannot propel the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on a level surface.

(b) Its power drive system does not require the operator to shift gears.

Here is where you're going to have a problem.

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT) Act 300 of 1949

257.217b Moped; manufacturer's identification number.

Sec. 217b.

A moped and a low-speed vehicle shall have permanently affixed to their frame a manufacturer's identification number.

Simply put Michigan doesn't want motorized bicycles on their public roadways.

Last edited:
Here is what you need to do, go to the RMV website and print a Bicycle Conversion to Mptorized Bicycle (Moped) Affadavit of Owner form and a Motorized Bocycle (moped) registration fill those both out completely have your 40.00 - 20 if its a renew. Go to the DMV , never a issue.

Back