RESOLVED: Best on bike chain cleaning method / solvent

Risk Man

Local time
3:24 PM
Dont want to remove the big drive chain on the Survival Motoped. What is the best way to clean the chain on the bike?

Thanks

You can buy fancy cleaners, but the best chain cleaner I have ever used is Kerosene. WD40, basically kerosene of a different variety (heavy naptha) also does a great job of breaking down grease and grime. Combine either with a chain brush and get busy.

Dont want to remove the big drive chain on the Survival Motoped. What is the best way to clean the chain on the bike?

Thanks
How bad is it? I've cleaned lots of dirty chains with brake clean, it might take a couple cans. Spread out a big sheet of cardboard and some paper towels.

You can buy fancy cleaners, but the best chain cleaner I have ever used is Kerosene. WD40, basically kerosene of a different variety (heavy naptha) also does a great job of breaking down grease and grime. Combine either with a chain brush and get busy.
Right on! Put some Kerosene in a spray bottle. Sprayed with cardboard shield. Plastic bristle brush. Rags. Two times on each section. Repeated. Many chains to maintain on this bike! Ready for chain wax. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-0061.jpg
    IMG-0061.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-0060.jpg
    IMG-0060.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 57
WD40, basically kerosene of a different variety
Thats what I use twice a year, WD-40, I pour enough it into a small bucket with the chain in the bucket and soak it overnight and just wipe it all down next morning...I then drop the chain into another bucket with 2 cycle synthetic oil and let it soak for the day, then wipe it down and put it back on the bike...It does a very decent job of things.

Thats what I use twice a year, WD-40, I pour enough of it into a small bucket with the chain in the bucket and soak it overnight and just wipe it all down next morning...I then drop the chain into another bucket with 2 cycle synthetic oil and let it soak for the day, then wipe it down and put it back on the bike...It does a very decent job of things.
I have an ultrasonic cleaner with wd40 in it. It works great for removing rust and cleaning chains. Its a bit spendy to replace after it get dirty. A gallon of wd40 costs 30 bucks.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner with wd40 in it. It works great for removing rust and cleaning chains. Its a bit spendy to replace after it get dirty. A gallon of wd40 costs 30 bucks.
I like to use kerosene for a couple of reasons. 1, it's less than half the cost. 2. I already keep a stock on hand. 3. After using it a few times I filter it with a coffee filter and burn it in my kerosene heater in my garage during the colder months while working on stuff.

I keep a couple of kerosene heaters and a kerosene camp stove in case power gets taken out in the winter, hence keeping it on hand. The high grade stuff sold in stores is expensive but easily has a 5 year shelf life. Even if you can get it from a local fuel place via pump it should hold up at least 3 years, longer if treated.

I like to use kerosene for a couple of reasons. 1, it's less than half the cost. 2. I already keep a stock on hand. 3. After using it a few times I filter it with a coffee filter and burn it in my kerosene heater in my garage during the colder months while working on stuff.

I keep a couple of kerosene heaters and a kerosene camp stove in case power gets taken out in the winter, hence keeping it on hand. The high grade stuff sold in stores is expensive but easily has a 5 year shelf life. Even if you can get it from a local fuel place via pump it should hold up at least 3 years, longer if treated.
Thanks for the idea i I hate working in the cold

Back