Rim Problems

inspectorcritic

Local time
10:16 AM
This is the third rim in 4 months been through put on a tuff dual wall rim design for weight but busted 2 spokes this week.

The rest well soon bust cost $40 at REI to replace got to have special tool pull off gear hub then the agony of taking off rubber motor gear 2 hour job I hate.

Anyone have a link to a SPIKE rim not spoke have to deal with half a dozen rather than 2 dozen spokes.

What am I doing wrong putting rubber pads on half break beneath rubber gear?

heavy steel is your friend with these - build with the heaviest parts you can find (a nice thing with bikes is that heavier is usually cheaper)

This is the third rim in 4 months been through put on a tuff dual wall rim design for weight but busted 2 spokes this week.

The rest well soon bust cost $40 at REI to replace got to have special tool pull off gear hub then the agony of taking off rubber motor gear 2 hour job I hate.

Anyone have a link to a SPIKE rim not spoke have to deal with half a dozen rather than 2 dozen spokes.

What am I doing wrong putting rubber pads on half break beneath rubber gear?
Sounds like it's time to ditch the rag joint!

I agree, that's why I am going to run the Grubee HD hub as it has two threaded flanges one for mounting your drive sprocket on and the other for your disc brake rotor. Takes the drive off the spokes themselves. Downside how ever is only sprocket I was able to find is a 44T on their site but they claim to have 36T, 44T and 48T as options.

Hmmm, the rag joint and sprocket work fine if you true and tighten your spokes and true the sprocket and rag joint. I have a couple thousand miles of hard use on these, and my main problem has been bearings, which need more lube attention.

Align the wheel, ideally with a dial indicator:
56392-1811ca15b2a1e0111ed11c49b80be93e.jpg

Make sure the tension on each spoke is the same with a "Ping" test.
Remember, you are looking for a "ping", not a "pong" or a "peeennng".

Then install the sprocket loosely and tighten it progressively while checking its alignment:
56391-e02916dc2bd29e3dc2aab40c359ce94e.jpg

Check (ping test) and retension your spokes as needed, probably weekly if riding daily.
These steps will assure a long life out of your spokes and wheels.

A lot of the "reliability mods" I see here are work-arounds for poor basic mechanic and alignment skills.

Last edited:
Hmmm, the rag joint and sprocket work fine if you true and tighten your spokes and true the sprocket and rag joint. I have a couple thousand miles of hard use on these, and my main problem has been bearings, which need more lube attention.

Align the wheel, ideally with a dial indicator:
56392-1811ca15b2a1e0111ed11c49b80be93e.jpg

Make sure the tension on each spoke is the same with a "Ping" test.
Remember, you are looking for a "ping", not a "pong" or a "peeennng".

Then install the sprocket loosely and tighten it progressively while checking its alignment:
56391-e02916dc2bd29e3dc2aab40c359ce94e.jpg

Check (ping test) and retension your spokes as needed, probably weekly if riding daily.
These steps will assure a long life out of your spokes and wheels.

A lot of the "reliability mods" I see here are work-arounds for poor basic mechanic and alignment skills.
Thanks for the ping thing can I use a tool to tap and get it?
I'm putting 6 spokes back in right now they all broke on the rag side I did something wrong never happen that way before.

I just need it to run for another week tomorrow I'm ordering special motorbike rims not bicycle and try to adapte to it. Next solid rubber tires just wreck tube for 10 bucks not even 3 days old.

IMG_20170710_083530.jpg
Okay think I got it solved, order from Gasbike HY 22 rims for $130.00 they are f***ing Tuff built for war even the bolt set up was tuffer than any spoken nut job I crush my frame tightening the nut never had it so tight no worries of Axel pullout going down the road.

As usual a simple 10 minute job turn into 6 hours either I had to splice redice my chain or use the the stock 44 T as templet drill holes out in my 41T REI swap the gear console out 9 bucks and was lucky Home Depot next door talk to rental small engine repair guy work for 2 1/2 with a file get the holes perfect best part Free.

Even the rim that was suppose to last for just 1 week when I took it off had 3 broken spokes 4 lose and damage lost another 12 bucks for 6 spokes had pro putem in.

However if you buy solid cog rims I advise you to apply thread lock as soon as you take them out of the box if you don't your nightmare is gonna happen.

Just met a guy name Shane showed him my new rims he said he has been through 3 rims this year! I thought I was the only guy with the problem.

I think spiderman invented spoke rim a spider would know proper tension and conhession and be in tune to it while riding. I say f*** spiderman there better logic than zoological!

Back