safe and fast.

The engine that they used on the motopeds is probably the best thing for you. its sub 50cc and has a transmission. are you still going to do the trike? I personally think a bike in between a Honda rebel and a 26" mountain bike with gearing to get the bike going than a way high end for a pedaling assist would be the best way to go.

i'm thinking the trike would make the most sense, i like the motoped, just not really my style. the ideal motor (i think) would be coming out of a 50 gp bike (aprilia rs 50, honda nsr 50, etc. i know there are more i'm just not familiar with them. those would be my first two choices.) they've got six speed manuals in them and still a pretty small size. they are water cooled, but on a trike i think you could squeeze that in. i'm still kind of dreaming up a plan to combine the whole drivetrain so that pedaling would still make a difference at high speed in high gear. and wondering just how to make a motorcycle wheel pedal-able. i'll have to look at that motoped a little more. but i really like the idea of long distance, regular commuting on a motorized bike (and by long distance i mean going between northern and southern california in a reasonable amount of time.) it's all got to start somewhere.

A three-wheeled motorscooter or motorcycle would be that fast...and MUCH safer on the highway/freeway. Your motorized bicycle would not be allowed on the freeway, whereas the vehicles I mentioned would.

It's all been engineered into these vehicles. If I wanted what you wanted, that's what I'd do.

JMO, you're trying to reinvent the wheel. You COULD, but it'll cost you in time, $$, energy, frustration and other setbacks.

Enjoy the ride.:devilish:

Back