SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters
It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop.
If you can come to a full stop in 10-15' your good.

NO MOTORIZED BIKE IS SAFE OVER 20mph WITH JUST A COASTER BRAKE!

This build flirts with 50mph but it has the stopping power...

2_GT2-GT5-2sFrontLeft1280.jpg

That sucker stops in a heartbeat with those dual disc brakes and 3" wide tires.

Just remember this...
It's not a matter of if something will get in front of you forcing a panic stop, it's simply when, and how often.

For you young guys.
Take it from a guy that 'played hard' his whole life and got banged up but healed quick...
Well, my theory is your body remembers each and every trauma, then switches all the pain receptors on when you get old.
Just ride safe and protect you're body, it will be worth it when you get older ;-}

The fastest I've gone on this bike is 46 mph on flat ground. I was coming into town and backed off. It had a little more but I was getting a little uncomfortable thinking about all the possibilities. I have since geared it down. I haven't opened it up since. The speedo says max 40.6 avg 15.8. Usually when I go through the gears easy and look down i'm at about 29 mph. and the bike feels good. The next thing I do is back off to about 24 and look around for any cops. So I like 24 mph. When I'm down town I practically idle through. It is important to me that others on the road as well as the cops don't think of us MBers as a nuisance. I agree with KC and generally say going is great but stopping is more important.
P.S. I've changed the pic. This bike never got over 41, and that was on a downhill run.

Last edited:
My Max experience speed 47.5mph

My Max current speed i think is 41.8mph

I average 35mph operating, any speed limit is pretty much the road safety rating, 35 is my legislative zone, my brakes on this ride sucks at 40+ (coaster brakes).

And just for a topical answer:
Don't drive faster than your brakes can stop, don't drive faster than your RPMs allow. Each bike is drastically different.

Last edited:
Back